Nub Theory: What Is It And How It Predicts Your Babys Sex At 12 Weeks
The Nub Theory can help you discover your babys gender at the 12 week scan, all you need is your first ultrasound picture.
Pregnancy is such an exciting but slow time! During that first trimester youre excited to know as much about your baby as possible like the gender. Usually you have to wait until your 18-22 week anatomy scan to be in with a chance of finding out, but the Nub Theory is a popular way for parents-to-be to predict their babys gender at just 12 weeks.
Unlike other methods that use astrology to predict a babys gender or old wives tales about pregnancy to guess if youre carrying a boy or a girl, the Nub Theory uses the 12-week ultrasound scan picture to predict the sex of your baby more accurately.
Similar to the Ramzi Theory, the nub theory says you can tell the sex of your baby at your very first ultrasound. So its popular with those who cant wait to find out if theyre having a little girl or boy.
Learning Your Baby’s Gender For Real
One accurate way to predict whether you’re having a boy or girl is to have an ultrasound, which is usually done between weeks 18-20 of pregnancy. Provided that your ultrasound technician gets a good view between your baby’s legs, the imaging procedure should be able to tell you with about 80% to 90% accuracy whether you’ll need to paint the nursery pink or blue.
Amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling also can determine your baby’s sex with a high degree of accuracy, but these more invasive tests are usually reserved for situations in which the baby may have a genetic disorder or chromosomal abnormality, such as Down syndrome.
DNA tests of the mother’s blood can also accurately detect the baby’s sex, but because of their high cost, these tests are only used in specialized laboratories, not commercially.
Nub Theory 12 Weeks: Boy
The nub is at a much steeper angle upwards from the spine, indicating that this could be a baby boy. Now, were not sure what 30 degrees looks like on an ultrasound. But if you were to draw a straight line on the ultrasound along the bottom half of your babys spine you can see whether the nub is pointing clearly up and away from that line or not.
Read Also: What Can Help Me Poop While Pregnant
Pregnancy Myth #: Rhythm Of The Heart
Myth:If the baby’s heart beats faster than 140 beats per minute, it’s a girl.
Reality:This is a myth Mass says her patients ask her about on a daily basis, and there might actually be a wee bit of truth to it.
A 2006 study showed no gender-related differences in fetal heart rate during the first trimester, but Mass says that’s no surprise, considering that babies’ hearts beat faster in general during the first 28 to 30 weeks of pregnancy. It’s later in the pregnancy when the difference becomes apparent. A 1999 study showed that just before delivery, a female baby’s heart does beat faster than a male’s. Mass says she sees a similar trend in her own patients.
The Pendulum Gender Prediction Test
Women have been trying this gender prediction test for centuriesthough there is some question about where the tradition originates from. The expecting mother is asked to lay on her back while someone takes a wedding ring and hangs it from a string. Then the string is dangled over the pregnant belly. The movements of the ring-weighted string will determine the gender of the baby, in a tradition known as dowsing. If the ring swings in a circular motion then its a girl and if the ring swing is a straight line then its a boy.
Don’t Miss: Why Does It Take Months To Get Pregnant
How Does Labor Usually Start With A Breech Baby
If your membranes havent ruptured , your doctor may attempt a version before delivery. But if youre at term, your water has broken or youre having contractions, its too late for an ECV.
Although research shows that about 85 percent of breech babies are delivered by C-section, some doctors may attempt a vaginal delivery, especially if some of the following factors are in place:
- Your baby is full-term, not too big, in the frank breech position and shows no signs of distress
- Your pelvis is roomy enough for your baby to pass safely
- Youve experienced no complications
- Youre pregnant with twins and the first baby is head down while the other is breech
- Your provider has experience doing vaginal breech births
Your odds are good that your baby will be in the head-down position by the time delivery day arrives but if she remains bottom-down, you may need to be flexible in your childbirth plans. And even if your practitioner green-lights attempting labor, its just that: an attempt only.
From the What to Expect editorial team and Heidi Murkoff, author of What to Expect When You’re Expecting. What to Expect follows strict reporting guidelines and uses only credible sources, such as peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions and highly respected health organizations. Learn how we keep our content accurate and up-to-date by reading our medical review and editorial policy.
Boy Or Girl The Difficulties Of Early Gender Prediction
Theres no shortage of old wives tales for how to predict a babys gender.
- Tie a ring to a piece of string and hang it over your belly. If it swings in a circle, its a boy if it swings back and forth, its a girl.
- Craving sweets? Its a girl. Cant put down the salty and sour foods? Its a boy.
- Little girls will steal your beauty. If you develop acne or other skin problems, youre having a girl.
Ill let Tiffany tell her story, and then well talk about how babies genitalia develop, how we may be able to predict a babys gender and when, and why you shouldnt expect to learn your babys gender early. But first, heres Tiffanys story.***
Also Check: Is Halo Top Safe During Pregnancy
Most Read On Mother& baby:
- Why not join thousands of mums and start your very own ? They’re absolutely free to create and perfect to send to your family, friends, and colleagues to make sure you’re getting the baby products you really need… !
Bath time is such an important part of you and your little one’s routine. Not only does this special time create a crucial bonding experience for you and baby, it also provides a range of cognitive and emotional benefits for them.
Slumbersacs award-winning Sleeping Bags with Feet are fantastic for active toddlers as they learn to walk for the first time. The innovative design offers them the freedom to move around, reducing the risk of them falling over, while still enjoying the comfort of their sleeping bag.
Fetal Sex Ultrasound Mistakes
While it’s unlikely, sex predictions made by a qualified ultrasound technician can be wrong. Here are a few situations that make a mistake more likely.
- The ultrasound was done during the first trimester. While it is possible to look for and even see fetal sex signs prior to 14 weeks’ gestation, mistakes are more likely during this time.
- There are genital anomalies. Congenital anomalies of the reproductive organs can make sex determination tricky or, in some cases, impossible.
- The genitalia is hidden. Hidden or mistaken genitals are more likely when ultrasounds are done early in pregnancy. A fetus that appears to be female may, in fact, be a male whose penis is hiding or not clearly visible. The position of the uterus and the baby can also make the genitalia unclear. Mistakes are unlikely beyond 18 weeks’ gestation, occurring in fewer than 1% of cases.
- The ultrasound tech is inexperienced. Sometimes, a mistake is made not because of the limitations of technology, but the inexperience of the person interpreting what they can see. The experience and skill of an ultrasound tech can easily affect the accuracy of sex determination.
Final Thoughts On Baby Gender Prediction
As you can tell, baby gender prediction traditions have been around for centuries! Trying to predict the gender of your baby can be a lot of fun. Once you find out your babys gender for sure you can get serious about choosing a baby name .
And while youre waiting to learn your little ones gender, you can get busy crafting the perfect baby registry.
Have questions about a Happiest Baby product? Our consultants would be happy to help! Connect with us at .
Disclaimer: The information on our site is NOT medical advice for any specific person or condition. It is only meant as general information. If you have any medical questions and concerns about your child or yourself, please contact your health provider.
Old Wives Tales About Pregnancy To Predict Your Babys Gender
1. Its a girl ifStarting on a common baby gender prediction method, apparently if youre carrying your baby quite high then youre expecting a girl.
2. Its a boy ifYou keep getting headaches. A common pregnancy symptom is headaches, but apparently this relates specifically to carrying boys. Any mother of boys could probably testify to this after birth beforehand however, were not so sure.
3. Its a girl ifYour boobs have suddenly taken on huge proportions. While some of us might like a cup-sized boost were almost certain breasts swell during every pregnancy but if you say so.
4. Its a boy ifYou arent sleeping very much. This could also have something to do with growing another human inside you, back ache, stomach pain, but according to old wives tales, it points to you carrying a baby boy.
5. Its a girl ifThe babys dad hasnt put on weight. Now you might be thinking, whats that got to do with it? but dont shoot the messenger, thats just what weve heard.
6. Its a boy ifYoure looking radiant and fabulous. You know that glow people speak of while youre pregnant? Well apparently it indicates that youre carrying a little boy.
7. Its a girl ifYour face changes. Thats all there is to that one so were not entirely sure in what way your face should change, or how far the transformation will go, but we can only hope its tantamount to the best facial going. .
8. Its a boy ifYou pick up a mug by its handle. Yes, that really is one.
Also Check: When Is The Best Time To Use Pregnancy Test
Pregnancy Myth #: Carrying Low
Myth: If your belly hangs low , you’re having a boy. If it’s high , you’re having a girl.
Reality: This one is pure myth. “How you carry simply has to do with the tone of your muscles and the position that the baby is in,” Beard says. These factors, along with your body shape and how much weight you gain during pregnancy — not the baby’s gender — will determine how low or high your belly sits.
You Develop Gestational Diabetes
Some research has found that moms-to-be pregnant with sons are more likely to develop gestational diabetes a pregnancy condition characterized by higher-than-normal glucose in the blood than expectant moms who are pregnant with daughters.
Researchers arent sure why a boy fetus leads to greater pregnancy-associated metabolic changes than a girl fetus does, but these findings seem to be backed up by more than one study.
Recommended Reading: How Much Folate To Take During Pregnancy
Pregnancy Myth #: Sweet Tooth
Myth: A pregnant woman who craves sweets is having a boy. If they crave sour foods, they’re having a girl.
Reality: Your baby boy might grow up to have a sweet tooth, but while they’re in your womb they’re not going to make you desperate for an ice cream cone or candy bar. If you’re craving sweets , it’s probably because your shifting hormones have intensified your sense of smell.
What Causes Gestational Diabetes
Insulin is a hormone produced in the pancreas that regulates the body’s metabolism of fats and carbs, and helps the body turn sugar into energy.
Gestational diabetes occurs when hormones from the placenta block insulin, preventing the body from regulating the increased blood sugar of pregnancy effectively.
This causes hyperglycemia , which can damage the nerves, blood vessels and organs in your body.
Also Check: Can I Put Braces While Pregnant
How Can You Predict A Baby’s Sex From The Size Of The Bump
Pregnancy is one of the most mysterious and beautiful chapters of a womans life. When expecting, most of the women are curious about their babys sex. No surprise as so many myths, theories and old wives tales surround this intriguing topic. Some even dare to conclude that it is possible to predict the babys gender by the shape of the mothers bump. Lets try to figure out where is the truth.
Pregnancy Myth #: Look At The Calendar
Myth: The Chinese Lunar Calendar can predict a baby’s gender based on the mother’s age when they conceived, and the month of conception.
Reality: The Chinese Lunar Calendar was discovered in a 700-year-old Royal tomb, and many pregnant women who’ve used it swear by it. Could this ancient artifact have some modern science behind it? Not necessarily. According to the same Canadian researchers who did the Drano test, the Lunar Calendar is no more accurate at predicting a baby’s gender than a random guess.
You May Like: How Common Is Getting Pregnant With An Iud
Scan Signs That May Tell If Youre Having A Boy Or A Girl
Some gender prediction tests involve looking at images taken from your 12-week dating scan to work out whether your babys a boy or a girl . They include:
1. Nub theory
This one involves looking at your 12-week scan, and making a note of the rather intriguing angle of the dangle.
This is to do with how the genital tube is angled compared to your babys spine.
2. Skull theory
This one says theres a difference between how a boys skull and a girls skull looks in the womb.
If youve already got your scan picture you can use it try and work out what youre having.
3. Ramzi Theory / Ramzi Method
The Ramzi Theory claims 97% to 99% accuracy at being able to predict if youre having a boy or girl based on where your placenta is placed in your uterus as early as 6 weeks into pregnancy.
Exclusive MadeForMums discount saving £9 off door price. Buy your tickets now!
As well as seeing your baby at the 12-week scan, you should hear their heartbeat too and get an idea of how fast it is.
Some of the mums on our forum reckon the speed of your babys heartbeat whether slow or fast indicates a boy or girl.
5. Three lines on your 20-week scan
In the NHS, using the 3 lines or potty shot at the 20-week scan is the main way a health practitioner will look to see if youre having a boy or girl.
Finding Out Vs Waiting
One of the first decisions you’ll make as a new parent happens before your baby even arrives. A 2017 study of parents-to-be in Sweden found that 57% of couples surveyed wanted to know the sex of their baby before birth.
Finding out your baby’s sex is a personal choice. There is no right or wrong, but each decision has pros and cons.
Recommended Reading: Does Smoking Weed Affect Early Pregnancy
Left Breast Bigger Than The Right
And, of course, according to the old wives tale, as your breasts change shape due to the natural injection of additional hormones to your body, they say that if one breast grows larger than the other then you are having a girl. But of course, only if it’s the left breast, according to TODAY. If the right breast is bigger than the left than it’s a boy.
It’s unknown where this pregnancy prediction method came from, but I think it’s safe to say that we can all be a little dubious about this one. Besides that, it’s often quite common for women to have one breast larger than the other. As your breasts prepare themselves for lactation and go up a cup size or two then it’s only natural for them to change based on the size and shape of your breasts before pregnancy.
Better Alternatives To The Ring Gender Test
If you want to know your babys sex prior to your second trimester ultrasound, there are several sex-prediction testing options. Over-the-counter gender prediction kits claim to have an accuracy rate of anywhere from 80 to 90 percent, but they cost anywhere from $40 for a urine-based test to a few hundred for a blood-sample test and often raise more questions than answers.
There are two other testing options that are more formal and high-tech:
This story is meant to reflect individual contributors’ experiences and does not necessarily reflect What to Expect’s point of view. This content is not intended to be used as medical advice, for diagnosis, or treatment.
- Fred Guckes, M.D., OB/GYN with Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis, Maryland.
- Sarah Bedell, M.D., a TopLine MD OB/GYN in Miami.
Don’t Miss: Can I Drink Breakfast Essentials While Pregnant
Age Isn’t Just A Number
According to legend, a Chinese gender chart will use your age at conception and the month you conceived to determine the sex of your baby. The Mayans used a similar method. They looked at your age at conception and the year your baby was conceived. If both are even or odd, it’s a girl. If one is even and one is odd, oh baby it’s a boy! If only life were so predictable and simple!