Reflux Heartburn And Bloating
Your stomach and digestive system are going to get squished by your growing uterus and baby in the coming weeks and months.
As your body starts to produce more progesterone hormones, the muscles in your body will relax.
This includes the muscles of the intestines. As a result, digestion slows down, so food and waste arent passed through as quickly as normal. This happens so your body can absorb all the nutrients it needs for your growing baby.
The downside, however, is this can lead to bloating, gas, heartburn, reflux, and sometimes, constipation during pregnancy.
To reduce these symptoms and discomfort during pregnancy, try to:
- Eat regularly. Having smaller meals, more often, is key. Avoid long gaps between eating otherwise, your stomach produces extra stomach acid, making reflux and heartburn worse
- Avoid acidic foods like tomatoes and citrus fruits, greasy food, coffee, and spicy foods
- Increase fluids even things like smoothies to ease symptoms
- Eat at least 3 hours before lying down in bed elevate your head and lie on your left side
- Exercise regularly, even if its something light, such as walking or yoga. This keeps everything moving smoothly through your system.
Your Baby At 12 Weeks
Just 12 weeks after your last period, thefoetus is fully formed. Allthe organs, muscles, limbs and bones are in place, and the sex organs are well developed.
From now on,the baby has to grow and mature.
It’s too early for you to be able to feel the baby’s movements yet, although they’ll bemoving quite a bit.
What You Should Be Doing This Week
Start those pelvic floor exercises: Pelvic floor exercises are so important Squeeze for up to 10 seconds, 20 times a day. Not only can these muscles help during childbirth but they also reduce your chances of bladder issues and can help with postpartum symptoms. There are several pregnancy apps for fitness that you can download to help you.
Don’t Miss: Can You Get Lasik Eye Surgery While Pregnant
Tips For You This Week
Get your flu shot
All pregnant women are with child sometime during flu season, October to May, which is why the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that all moms-to-be get the flu shot. And being pregnant doesnt up your risk for shot side effects, notes a recent study.
Embrace loose styles
Your doctor can feel your growing uterus by touching your abdomen, but your belly may not be sporting a bump. Until you’re ready for maternity wear, shop for looser or stretchy clothes, like empire-waist maxi dresses, drawstring pants and lightweight sweaters.
Start doing Kegels
Pushing your baby through your pelvis and into the world is demanding not only on you, but also on your pelvic floor muscles which have to stretch to proportions previously unimaginable.
Doing pelvic floor exercises can ease pregnancy symptoms and lead to a faster post-birth recovery. Squeeze the pelvic floor muscles for up to 10 seconds, shooting for three sets of 20 a day.
Building these bladder- and uterus-supporting muscles reduces your chance of bladder issues and eases a host of other pregnancy and postpartum symptoms.
Steer clear of alcohol
The warning labels on the sides of beer, wine and alcohol bottles are there for a reason. Drinking alcoholic beverages during pregnancy can have serious consequences for your baby, including birth defects and complications.
Rethink hair removalStay hydratedKnow which foods to avoid
The End Of Some Pregnancy Symptoms
As you near the end of your first trimester, your uterus, now about the size of a large grapefruit, begins to migrate from the bottom of your pelvis to a front-and-center position in your abdomen.
If you’re lucky, this will bring an end to one pesky early pregnancy symptom: the constant urge to urinate.
Also slated to diminish somewhat now that you’re on the cusp of your second trimester are some of those other early pregnancy symptoms: nausea, super tender breasts and nipples, food aversions and fatigue.
You May Like: Can I Use Vagisil Wash While Pregnant
Your Body And Symptoms
Hopefully any nausea or vomiting youve experienced should be beginning to subside although some women experience it throughout the whole of their pregnancy. If you feel as though vomiting is out of control speak to your midwife. Occasionally, pregnant women can suffer from constant sickness that leaves them dehydrated and needing IV fluids, known as hyperemesis gravidarum.
Many women experience occasional bouts of dizziness and/or feeling faint. This is partly due to high levels of progesterone that causes increased blood flow to your pelvic area and your baby, subsequently leaving other areas of your body with decreased blood pressure. Women typically also have lower blood sugar levels during pregnancy. Eating regularly, standing up slowly and ensuring that you get plenty of rest can all help with dizziness.
The risk of miscarriage lowers significantly after 12 weeks and, although it is perfectly natural to feel anxious about your pregnancy, many women find reaching the twelfth week of pregnancy reassuring.
How To Find Your Uterus
You may be wondering, how does a pregnant belly feel in early pregnancy? Some women want to feel their uterus when pregnant, but don’t bother trying to feel your uterus before twelve weeks of pregnancy because you will be frustrated. Where is your uterus located at 12 weeks? At 12 weeks, the top of your uterus is just about level with the top of your pubic bone, and you might just be able to feel it then. If you insist on feeling your uterus at 12 weeks, try the following technique:
Also Check: Is It Safe To Take Tums While Pregnant
Your Frequently Asked 12 Week Questions Answered By Your Midwife And Doctor
As your uterus moves from the bottom of your pelvis to the front of your abdomen, youll hopefully lose the need to constantly wee! That said, you might start feeling dizzy as a replacement, as progesterone causes your blood vessels to relax and widen to increase the flow of blood to your baby.
Remember, if you feel dizzy or faint, lie down with your head lowered between your knees, take deep breaths and keep snacking to keep those blood sugar levels up.
Tips For 12 Weeks Pregnant
Give sore breasts some TLCYour bodys hormones are getting you ready for breastfeeding, which can make breasts sore or tender. Soothe pain by wearing comfortable clothes that dont irritate the body, trading in underwire bras for maternity or nursing bras with soft support or using ice packs for temporary relief.
Wear sun protectionOne 12 weeks pregnant symptom that can occur for many women is melasma, or the mask of pregnancy, where dark spots appear on the face. Its caused by those active hormones, but melasma can be made worse with sun exposure. Protect your skin with a mineral-based sunblock and a wide-brimmed hat, and stay in the shade or indoors during the day whenever possible.
Dont give into junk food temptationsIf your appetite starts to return as morning sickness fades, dont feed it with lots of sugar, fats or processed foods. Healthy eating is good for you and baby, and it also helps you achieve a healthy weight gain moving forward. While its totally normal to not gain any weight in the first trimester , women of normal pre-pregnancy weight should plan on adding a pound or two a week during the second trimester
Think about getting physicalPretty soon, youll have more energy, so make sure to talk with your OB about a safe exercise plan for the rest of your pregnancy. Regular workouts may help manage weight gain, make your heart and lungs strong, decrease pain and potentially reduce risk of issues such as gestational diabetes.
Read Also: Can You Donate Plasma When Pregnant
Your Baby When Youre 12 Weeks Pregnant
Heres whats happening with your baby:
- Your baby is about 6 cm long from head to bottom, and weighs about 18 gm.
- The kidneys are working and the baby can pass urine and swallow amniotic fluid.
- Your babys chest rises and falls, practising breathing movements. The digestive system is also in test mode.
- Twenty teeth have formed in your babys gums.
Pregnant And Disappearing Symptoms
Pregnancy symptoms can come and go from day to day. They can also fluctuate from hour to hour. You may feel tired and nauseated in the morning but feel pretty alright in the early afternoon.
You may also get used to some of the symptoms, or learn how to handle them better. Also, as the first trimester ends, some of the initial discomforts of pregnancy fade or disappear. Morning sickness, for example, usually ends by the 12th week.
If you have a history of miscarriage and your symptoms suddenly disappear, you may still want to contact your doctor. They may be able to run some tests to reassure you.
If symptoms disappear, and you’re spotting or cramping, then you should contact your doctor. Before you panic, though, know that this can also turn out to be normal.
You May Like: Vagisil Safe During Pregnancy
Your Baby At 12 Weeks Pregnant
- At 12 weeks pregnant, your uterus is just above the pelvis. Your uterus is small and no doubt, your baby is moving.
- You may not be able to feel the movement at this time. As the baby grows bigger, you will be able to feel the movement. The baby can stretch, push, twist, turn inside the uterus.
- The spongy tissue inside some of your babys bones, starts to produce white blood cells. These spongy tissues are bone marrow tissues.
The white blood cells help in the fight against infection. They help the baby stay healthy while in the mothers uterus.
- The babys brain development occurs during this period . Hard drugs, alcohol, smoking cigarettes, is not good for your baby.
You want to avoid anything that will affect the development of your baby.
- The pituitary gland, which is present in the brain starts functioning. It produces its hormones. These hormones will enable her to make babies in a few years. So, you see how important it is to avoid anything that can affect your baby.
- At 12 weeks pregnant, the placenta can support the babys growth. It can replace the Corpus luteum and gets bigger as the baby grows. The placenta helps in filtering the oxygen and important nutrients that the baby needs.
- Do you know that at this stage, your baby can suck the thumb? This is lovely, I must say.
- The eyelids can cover the eyes at 12 weeks pregnant. This prevents it from any harm.
Meconium consists of materials ingested by the baby during its stay in the uterus.
Pregnancy Week 1: Tips For Moms Partner
Your partners body is going through many changes, and things that she once did easily may become more of a challenge. A good way to show that you appreciate and care for her is by rubbing her hands, feet, or back at the end of a long day. You can use her favorite fragrance of lotion or massage oil to make this time even more special.
Don’t Miss: Donating Plasma While Pregnant
Emotional Changes At 12 Weeks Pregnant
You may feel this intense excitement and happiness. You start feeling like your old self as your strength begins to return. That feeling of tiredness is no more.
Many women say they feel relieved and happy. This is because they can do what they want. They can move about instead of needing a helping hand all the time.
Can Hard Sex Cause Miscarriage In Early Pregnancy
Hard sex can cause miscarriage if the cervix is affected. Separation of the placenta from the wall of the uterus can affect both you and the baby. Gentle sex is preferable during pregnancy.
Note that there is a thick mucus plug covering the cervix. This helps to protect the baby.
The baby is in a fluid called the amniotic fluid. This Amniotic fluid cushions the effect of your movement during sexual intercourse.
Also Check: Can You Get Lasik Eye Surgery While Pregnant
During Week 12 Of Pregnancy What’s Happening In My Body
You probably dont have much of a bump to show off just yet, but that’s okay. Itll push itself above your pelvic bone soon, so expect the first vague outlines of a baby belly. On that note, your jeans, trousers and skirts are probably becoming quite snug, so it might be time to invest in some comfy maternity clothes.
Body Type Can Play A Role
As explained , thinner women often show earlier, at around 12-15 weeks.
Those carrying a bit more weight may not show until later into their second trimester. Having very defined abdominal muscles may also lead to showing later.
A smaller frame leads to your bump being more noticeable, whereas extra weight or a defined stomach can hide your bump longer.
Read Also: Is It Ok To Use Vagisil While Pregnant
What To Expect At 12 Weeks Pregnant Checklist
Heres your week 12 pregnancy checklist:
- Once youve had a dating scan, youll have a very good estimate of your expected due date . This scan will also confirm how many babies youre expecting if youve got triplets on the way, its best you find out sooner rather than later! Your health professional will also make you aware.
- Now might be the time to start thinking about what kind of delivery you want. Most women deliver in a hospital setting and wouldnt think of doing it any other way hospitals typically have the best facilities for coping with perinatal emergencies. However, an increasing number of women are choosing to deliver at home or in other settings these environments are often much more calming than a hospital. Which options are available for your delivery depends very much upon the healthcare facilities in your location if youre considering an unconventional delivery, then seek medical advice as early as possible.
- Try not to worry too much about stretch marks appearing in your skin over the course of your pregnancy. They are usually most prominent on your breasts, abdomen, hips, and buttocks and most women get some during pregnancy. Despite what youll hear from the cosmetics industry, lotions and creams wont make any difference, How much they show depends on your skin’s natural elasticity, but they usually fade gradually after delivery.
What Happens During Week 9
The embryo develops into a fetus after 10 weeks. Its 11.5 inches long. The tail disappears. Fingers and toes grow longer. The umbilical cord connects the abdomen of the fetus to the placenta. The placenta is attached to the wall of the uterus and it absorbs nutrients from the bloodstream. The cord carries nutrients and oxygen to the fetus and takes waste away from the fetus.
Read Also: Vagisil When Pregnant
Why Is 12 Weeks Safe
At 12 weeks your baby is fully developed and the placenta is feeding and supporting your baby. By this stage, your pregnancy hormones have settled down too.
Pregnancy week 12 is considered a milestone for many, and is often the time couples choose to share their news with the world. This is because the risk of miscarriage significantly reduces after this point.
When we think about miscarriage, we tend to think about it occurring during the first trimester. Miscarriage, however, is defined as a pregnancy loss up to 23 weeks and 6 days.
Sadly, miscarriage is very common. You might already be aware 1 in 4 pregnancies will end in miscarriage. Around 80% of these will occur in the first 12 weeks. This is known as an early pregnancy loss.
These figures include very early miscarriage, before a woman realizes she is pregnant. A pregnancy loss after 12 weeks up to 20 weeks is known as a late miscarriage and is much less common.
The risk of miscarriage reduces in line with gestation. That means the further along you are, the less chance there is of miscarriage.
Since the majority of miscarriages occur in the first trimester, the risk dramatically reduces to around 3-4% after this point.
One study suggests the overall risk of miscarriage after the detection of a fetal heartbeat is around 4%, dropping to 1.5% after 8 weeks and to 0.9% by 9 weeks.
Your Life At 12 Weeks Pregnant
Oh, baby! Youve almost made it a third of the way. Here are some ideas to help you finish out the first trimester strong.
- Be your BFF: Be gentle on yourself. The end of the first trimester is a major milestone, but if you still feel crummyor on the flipside, if symptoms have faded and you dont feel pregnant anymoreits OK to be more nervous than relieved as you enter the second trimester. Share your feelings with a trusted friend, or take a break from them with a classic fun flick, like Roman Holiday or The Breakfast Club.
- Mood booster: Sometimes it can feel like pregnancy is all about what you cant dono hot tubs, no alcohol, no heavy lifting. Counteract those nos with a list of pregnancy-safe fun, like your favorite form of exercise or an evening out with friendsshout out to mocktails! Tack it to your bathroom mirror or fridge, and if you ever feel a bout of the pregnancy blues, youll know where to look for mood-boosting inspiration.
- R& R: Practice putting your feet up. Its a good habit to savor as the weeks progress. Grab your Kindle, iPad or a book and a warm mug of tea , and dont get up until you need a refill .
- Helpful hint: Theres nothing like seeing the first image of your growing baby. But ultrasound photos fade with time. If you want to hold onto yours, be sure to take a digital snap. You can also search on or Etsy for unique ways to preserve and display these precious pics.
You May Like: Can I Use Vagisil Wash While Pregnant