How Accurate Are Home Pregnancy Tests
Home pregnancy tests are very accurate and most claim between 97 per cent and 99 per cent accuracy, but as with any kit there are things that can affect the test result.
Here are some tips for how to improve their accuracy:
- Check the expiry date and make sure you follow the instructions properly.
- The amount of hCG or pregnancy hormone in your urine increases with time and is often different at certain times of day. The earlier after a missed period you take the test, the harder it is to spot the hCG. Also, testing your urine first thing in the morning may boost the accuracy.
- The amount of hCG in urine is different for every woman. Some women will have accurate results on the day of the missed period while others will need to wait longer.
- Some tests are more sensitive than others, and will affect how early you can use them to detect pregnancy.
If in doubt, the best thing to do is to consult your GP or a health care professional who will be able to take a pregnancy test for you.
How Do You Read A Clearblue Pregnancy Test
One of the top benefits of a Clearblue pregnancy test is that it’s easy to read. If you’ve read a pregnancy test in the past, you know the struggle of trying to read the more affordable ones.
Is that one line or two? Is that vague second line actually a line, or is it a mark that was already there?
Clearblue will tell you, in words, whether you’re pregnant or not pregnant. There’s no question . That said, it’s always best to use a second test.
Clear Blue Early Detection Pregnancy Test
One of the most reliable brands for pregnancy tests, this Clear Blue test is 79% accurate in testing for pregnancy 6 days before the missed period and 5 days before the expected period. Its got a classic colour changing tip for easy to read results and currently, you can get one test for just under £6 on Amazon.
Don’t Miss: Side Effects Of Donating Plasma While Pregnant
When Can I Take A Pregnancy Test: Calculate
- Clearblue Early Detection Pregnancy Test can tell you 6 days sooner than your missed period 1 . No matter when you test, you can be confident in the accuracy of a ‘Pregnant’ result with any Clearblue Pregnancy Test. But if you are testing early, you should be aware that even if your result is not …
What Is The Clearblue Digital Pregnancy Test
The Clearblue Digital Pregnancy Test is the only pregnancy test that also comes with a weeks indicator, letting you know how many weeks pregnant you are at a glance. The Clearblue Digital Pregnancy Test uses clear words to tell you if you are pregnant or not pregnant, so you know your test results right away without having to decode any confusing lines and indicators.
You May Like: Can Donating Plasma Hurt An Unborn Baby
Clearblue Positive Pregnancy Test
- Whether you choose the non-digital or the digital Clearblue pregnancy test, the secret tip is to follow the instruction of the wrapper carefully. When using a non-digital Clearblue pregnancy test, please do not open the wrapper until you are sure you will do a pregnancy test. It is best to do the test using the first morning urine.
The Clearblue Digital Pregnancy Test With Smart Countdown Is:
Unique – the only pregnancy test that counts down to the result
Accurate – over 99% accurate from the day of the expected period3
Easy to use – a quick and easy urine test, with a no mess wide absorbent tip and integrated FloodguardTM Technology
Sensitive – can be used up to 5 days before the missed period5.
Unmistakably clear – digital results in words for greater accuracy in consumers hands4
- 1 Perrier dHauterive S., et al. Dialogue between blastocyst hCG and endometrial LH/hCG receptor: which role in implantation? Gynecol Obstet Invest 64:156160.
- 2Johnson SR, et al. Levels of urinary human chorionic gonadotrophin following conception and variability of menstrual cycle length in a cohort of women attempting to conceive. Curr Med Res Opin. 25: 741748
- 399% accurate at detecting typical pregnancy hormone levels. Note that hormone levels vary. See insert.
- 4Tomlinson C., et al. Comparison of accuracy and certainty of results of six home pregnancy tests available over-the-counter. Curr Med Res Opin 24:16459
- 5Data on file. The pregnancy hormone increases rapidly in early pregnancy and Clearblue Digital Pregnancy Test can be used as early as 5 days before the missed period .In clinical testing, Clearblue Digital Pregnancy Test detected the pregnancy hormone in 75% of women when testing 4 days before the expected period, 95% at 3 days before, 98% at 2 days before and > 99% at 1 day before their expected period.
Read Also: Restylane While Pregnant
What Is The Clearblue Digital Early Detection Pregnancy Test
The Clearblue Digital Early Detection Pregnancy Test is a pregnancy test which can give you accurate results as early as 5 days before your missed period! If you think you may be pregnant and cant wait to find out for sure, this pregnancy test will give you the answers youre looking for in clear words, showing the words pregnant or not pregnant on the screen when its done. As well as that, the unique smart countdown will show on the digital screen as you wait for your results, so youll know exactly when your test is done.
What Do My Pregnancy Test Results Mean
When your Clearblue Digital Pregnancy Test is complete you will see your pregnancy test results right away, which will display the words pregnant or not pregnant clearly on the indicator. Your weeks indicator test result may take a little longer to display, but when it does it will display one of three options:
Also Check: Kt Tape Pregnancy Round Ligament Pain
What Do I Need To Know Before Starting A Test
First, find the right for you. Then, there are a few things you should do before taking a pregnancy test, like:
- Check the expiry date on the box. Even if youve bought the test recently, its always a good idea to make sure the test youve purchased is still valid. An expired test may give you an unexpected result.
- Use the first urine of the day if youre testing early. Pregnancy tests look for the presence of the human chorionic gonadotropin hormone in your urine, which is more concentrated first thing in the morning. If you havent missed your period yet, your levels of hCG may not be high enough to be detected in more diluted urine. However, you can test any time of day if youve already missed your period as the pregnancy hormone level will be high enough to give a positive result at any time of the day if you are pregnant.
- Do not drink too much liquid before testing. How much you drink before testing is especially important if youre testing early, as too much liquid can dilute the hCG levels in your urine.
- If you want to collect a sample, have a clean cup to hand you can use. If you choose to test directly in your urine stream, make sure you have the test ready to use.
- You may want to use a timer. Keeping track of the time you need to wait to read the results can help you be sure youve waited long enough.
How Early Can Clearblue Detect Pregnancy
The Clearblue digital pregnancy test is one of the more expensive pregnancy tests on the market. There are several varieties, but they average at around $10 per test.
That said, there’s a good reason for the cost. It’s worth it when you can detect pregnancy early. Early pregnancy detection gives you more options and allows you to start visiting a doctor for pregnancy care earlier.
Clearblue digital pregnancy tests can detect pregnancy up to five days before your missed period. This will vary depending on the person and how much HCG is in your system.
Don’t Miss: Pregnancy Side Effects By Week
Changes In Your Breasts
Your breasts might grow larger and feel tender or highly sensitive. The veins on your breasts may become more noticeable and your areola may darken.
My test said pregnant but I dont feel pregnant how can I be sure?
Mrs Emma Kirk :
Not all women will suffer from pregnancy symptoms, such as morning sickness. Look out for breast tenderness as this is the symptom that is most commonly reported. However all pregnancies are different so do not worry.
Pregnancy Tests At The Doctor’s Office
The urine pregnancy tests your doctor uses contain the same technology as home pregnancy tests. Doctors pregnancy tests also detect hCG and are over 99% accurate from the day you expect your period. Just like some home tests, some doctors tests can be used before you miss your period.
As home pregnancy tests are so reliable, your doctor may not do a second test to confirm a , though routine practice varies from country to country. If they do a second urine test, often you will have the result in a few minutes. Alternatively, your doctor may do a blood test, either taking a blood sample from your arm, or just a few drops of blood from a finger prick. If a blood sample is taken, it may be sent away to a laboratory, and results will usually take a few days.
Recommended Reading: Pregnancy Side Effects Week By Week
How Soon Can You Take A Pregnancy Test
Home pregnancy tests may claim that they can tell if youre pregnant on the day you expect your period and its possible to tell even a couple of days before your period, but this is not usually the case. Its not always possible to be that specific about the date of your period, and levels of hCG vary greatly from woman to woman.
Women all have different menstrual cycles and so everyone ovulates at a different time. This will affect when your period is due. You may also have conceived later in your cycle than average, which will affect how much hCG is in your body.
Although you may not want to wait, the best way to be sure is give it at least a week after your period is due.
How Pregnancy Tests Work
All home pregnancy tests detect the pregnancy hormone, human Chorionic Gonadotrophin in urine. In pregnancy, hCG is produced first by the fertilised egg and later the placenta. A fertilised egg typically implants into the lining of the uterus 6-8 days before the missed period, when tiny amounts of hCG start to appear in the mothers blood and urine. Though hCG levels are very low at first, the level rises rapidly and predictably in the first weeks of pregnancy5.
Don’t Miss: Can You Get Lasik While Pregnant
How Do Twins And Multiples Affect Hcg Levels
Women pregnant with twins or multiples have high levels of hCG. This increased level of hCG could also be why some women who carry twins have severe morning sickness compared to women who are expecting only one baby. If you have a blood test to check your hCG levels and its higher than average, there is a chance that you are pregnant with more than one baby.
Does The Day I Take The Test Affect Pregnancy Test Accuracy
The earlier you test, the more likely you will get a false negative. Implantation usually occurs about nine days after ovulation, and periods usually start about 14 days after ovulation, says Schram. That means that if you test too soon before your expected period, you will get a negative test result, even if you are pregnant. From a results perspective, the best time to test is the day of your expected period or afterwards.
Read Also: Can You Donate Plasma While Breastfeeding
How To Take Your Clearblue Digital Early Detection Pregnancy Test
When its time to take your test, start by removing the test from its foil wrapper and removing the blue cap, exposing the absorbent tip. There are two ways to take your Clearblue Pregnancy Test, and both will provide you accurate results. You can choose to hold the test in your urine stream, or test using a urine sample:
- To test in your urine stream, simply place the absorbent tip of the pregnancy test directly into your urine stream for 5 seconds. Take care not to get the rest of the testing stick wet and keep the absorbent tip pointing downward.
- To test in a urine sample, first collect your urine in a clean, dry container. Then, hold the absorbent tip of your pregnancy test in the urine sample for 20 seconds, keeping the tip pointing downward.
Once you have taken the test, replace the cap and lay the test stick flat as you wait for around 3 minutes for your results. The countdown on the digital screen will show you when your results are ready to read.
The 8 Best Pregnancy Tests Of 2021
Picking out a pregnancy test can feel overwhelming, especially when you consider the number of brands and types available, and of course, whats at stake. The good news? Some tests clearly come out on top when it comes to accuracy, reliability, and usability, making it easier to narrow your choices.
With that in mind, you’re probably wondering what the best pregnancy test is. But before we get to the top picks, its important to point out the difference between a home pregnancy test and a blood test.
Recommended Reading: Mayo Clinic Pregnancy
Features To Keep In Mind When Choosing A Pregnancy Test
You may want your choice of pregnancy test to involve more than just grabbing the first one you see on the shelf. Here are some factors to keep in mind when shopping for a test.
- Display method Do you prefer test lines or digital words indicating pregnant or not pregnant?
- Cost Test strips are more affordable than plastic-encased pregnancy tests.
- Expiration date Check the expiration date before you use a test. All pregnancy tests expire and can become less effective at detecting hCG if they are too old.
- Ergonomics and ease of use Urine pregnancy tests give you two options to test: midstream while urinating or by collecting a sample in a cup. People with limited mobility or range of motion should be aware of which method works best for them.
Finally, before choosing a pregnancy test, ask yourself these questions. Your answers will help determine the best brand and style for your needs.
- When was my last period?
- Am I taking any medication with hCG hormone?
- Will I need more than one pregnancy test?
- Do I feel comfortable performing a pregnancy test?
- Do I feel comfortable reading a pregnancy test?
Is It Faster Or More Accurate To Go Straight To The Doctor To Get Tested
For most women, its actually faster to grab a test from a pharmacy or dollar store, says Schram. The first step with us is also a urine test, which tests hCG at the same concentrations as the test you use at home. Plus, most offices dont stock fancy early detection tests, so ours may actually miss very early pregnancies that you could pick up at home. When medically indicated, we can also order serum pregnancy tests, but these can take up to 24 hours to come back.
Also Check: Risks Of Donating Plasma While Pregnant
How Accurate Is Clearblue Easy Digital Pregnancy Test
- How accurate is Clearblue Easy Digital pregnancy test? (For example, the Clearblue Early Detection Pregnancy Test claims more than 99 percent accuracy if you test the day of your expected period or one, two or three days before 96 percent accuracy four days before and 79 percent five days before. Is First Response digital pregnancy test accurate? The â¦
Best Overall: First Response Early Result
- Accurate up to six days before a missed period
- Offers two ways to read results
First Response Early Result tops our list of the best home pregnancy tests. This bestselling brand is considered the gold standard of home pregnancy tests by many parents and experts. While some tests require a missed period to detect pregnancy hormones in urine, First Response Early Result is sensitive enough to recognize scant amounts of pregnancy hormones up to six days before a missed period.
Plus, if you wait until the first day of your expected period, the results are more than 99 percent accurate. First Response also earned top honors for providing users with two ways to read results. After three minutes, the display window will reveal one or two lines: One indicates a negative result, and two lines a positive result. If you would rather see the words pregnant or not pregnant, simply download the EasyRead app and scan your pregnancy test. The app converts the test lines into words for extra assurance.
- Accurate up to six days before a missed period
- EasyRead app converts test lines into words
- Three-minute test time
- More expensive than other tests
- Test lines can be difficult to read if too faint
Get First Response Early Result at FirstResponse.com.
You May Like: Is It Okay To Use Vagisil While Pregnant
I Have Recently Had A Miscarriage Or Termination And I Think I Might Be Pregnant Again When Should I Do A Clearblue Pregnancy Test
After a miscarriage or termination, it can take up to 9 weeks for the pregnancy hormone to disappear from the body. If you take a pregnancy test during this time, its impossible to know if a Pregnant result is caused by a new pregnancy or by hCG from your previous pregnancy. In this case, we would recommend that you contact your doctor.