The Difference Between Spotting And Bleeding
Spotting is when you notice a few drops of blood every now and then on your underwear. It is not enough to cover a panty liner.
Bleeding is a heavier flow of blood. With bleeding, you will need a liner or pad to keep the blood from soaking your clothes.
Ask your health care provider more about the difference between spotting and bleeding at one of your first prenatal visits.
Is It Normal To Bleed In Early Pregnancy
Its common to have light bleeding or spotting without pain before 12 weeks. This isnt often serious, but you should contact your doctor, midwife or Early Pregnancy Unit immediately to be checked, just in case.
Bleeding in pregnancy after 12 weeks is not common. Contact A& E or your hospital maternity unit immediately so you can be checked.
Vaginal Infections During Pregnancy
If you have any infection during pregnancy, it may cause irregular bleeding. Some of the vaginal infection are:
- Vaginal scratching or itching
What to do if i have vaginal infection in pregnancy?
Inform your doctor ASAP. Most vaginal infections during pregnancy can be treated and cured. Your vaginal samples will be collected and tested before treatment.
If you fail to treat your infection when pregnant, you may have a miscarriage, bleeding or preterm delivery.
Don’t Miss: Donating Plasma While Breastfeeding
Bleeding During Early Pregnancy
If youve had bleeding early in your pregnancy, youre not alone. Many other pregnant women have early bleeding, too. And in most cases, nothing is wrong. But your healthcare provider still needs to know about it. They may want to do tests to find out why youre bleeding. Call your provider if you see bleeding during pregnancy. Tell your provider if your blood is Rh negative. Then they can figure out if you need anti-D immune globulin treatment.
What If I Discharge More Than Blood
If something other than blood comes out, call your provider right away. Put the discharge in a jar or a plastic bag and bring it with you to your appointment.
Your provider will check to see if you are still pregnant. You will be closely watched with blood tests to see if you are still pregnant.
If you are no longer pregnant, you may need more care from your provider, such as medicine or possibly surgery.
You May Like: How Yk If Your Pregnant
What To Do If You Have Abnormal Bleeding During Pregnancy
Because vaginal bleeding in any trimester can be a sign of a problem, call your doctor. Wear a pad so that you can keep track of how much you’re bleeding, and record the type of blood . Bring any tissue that passes through the vagina to your doctor for testing. Don’t use a tampon or have sex while you are still bleeding.
Your doctor might recommend that you rest as much as you can and avoid exercise and travel.
You should expect to receive an ultrasound to identify what the underlying cause of your bleeding may be. Vaginal and abdominal ultrasounds are often performed together as part of a full evaluation.
Go to the emergency room or call 911 right away if you have any of the following symptoms, which could be signs of a miscarriage or other serious problem:
- Severe pain or intense cramps low in the abdomen
- Severe bleeding, with or without pain
- Discharge from the vagina that contains tissue
What Causes Bleeding Or Spotting Later In Pregnancy
Bleeding or spotting later in pregnancy may be caused by:
- Having sex
- An internal exam by your health care provider
- Problems with the cervix, like an infection, growths, inflammation or cervical insufficiency. This is when a womans cervix opens too early. Inflammation of the cervix is when it may be painful, swollen, red or irritated.
Bleeding or spotting later in pregnancy may be a sign of a serious problem, like:
- Preterm labor. This is labor that happens too early, before 37 weeks of pregnancy.
- Placenta previa. This is when the placenta lies very low in the uterus and covers all or part of the cervix.
- Placenta accreta. This is when the placenta grows into the wall of the uterus too deeply.
- Placental abruption. This is when the placenta separates from the wall of the uterus before birth.
- Uterine rupture. This is when the uterus tears during labor. This happens very rarely. It can happen if you have a scar in the uterus from a prior cesarean birth or another kind of surgery on the uterus. A c-section is surgery in which your baby is born through a cut that your doctor makes in your belly and uterus.
Read Also: Donate Plasma While Pregnant
What Will The Scan Tell Us
A scan can only tell us how your pregnancy is at that particular time. Unfortunately it is no guarantee that your pregnancy will continue successfully. If your symptoms persist or become worse, you must contact EPAU, midwife or your GP.
In later pregnancy ultrasound scanning is used to look more closely at the anatomy and organs of the developing baby. This is usually done between 18 21 weeks.
Scanning In Early Pregnancy
An ultrasound scan is used during pregnancy for a number of reasons. In the first three months of pregnancy it can be used to check the presence of the babys heartbeat, which can be reassuring if you have experienced a problem, such as vaginal bleeding or pain. A scan will also be used to check to see if the pregnancy is in the correct place and to accurately predict the estimated date of delivery by measuring the end points of the embryo or fetus.
Read Also: Lice Treatment During Pregnancy
Causes Of Bleeding In Late Pregnancy
There can be a number of causes of heavy bleeding during pregnancy. They include:
- Activities that cause a cervical change like sex can cause bleeding.
- Any kind of vaginal infection.
- Bloody show, which is the removal of the mucus plug that is present in the cervix from the beginning of the pregnancy-it is an indication that the cervix is close to being ready for labor. The bleeding in this case may start before the contractions or even during labor.
- A critical condition called placental abruption where the placenta moves away from the wall of the womb. The bleeding is usually accompanied with stomach pain in this condition.
- A severe condition called placenta praevia in which the placenta attaches itself close to the cervix. The bleeding in this case is very heavy and can put both the baby and the mother at risk. A caesarean usually becomes necessary if this happens.
- An uncommon condition called the vasa praevia in which the blood vessels of the baby are not secured by the placenta and the umbilical cord and actually go over the cervixs membranes. In this condition, when the water breaks, the vessels become damaged and blood comes out through the vagina. This can prove life-threatening to the baby. Diagnosing the condition is usually very tough though in some cases it gets identified with an ultrasound.
Treatment For Bleeding After Sex
The first line of defense for treating bleeding after sex is to abstain from intercourse, especially if youre dealing with a more serious condition such as placenta previa or placenta abruption.
Beyond that, Cross says your doctor may recommend pelvic rest, which is avoiding anything in the vagina until further notice, or antibiotics if dealing with an infection.
Depending on the stage and severity, Gaither says medical interventions could be needed to treat the following conditions:
- For ectopic pregnancy, medical or surgical treatment and blood transfusion may be needed.
- For vaginal lacerations with profuse bleeding, surgical treatment and blood transfusion may be needed.
- For placenta previa and placental abruption, cesarean delivery and a blood transfusion may be needed.
Recommended Reading: Can You Donate Plasma While Pregnant
If You Bleed During Intercourse Can That Mean Your Pregnant
A:If you bleed during intercourse can that mean your pregnant
- What does it mean if your pregnant and having intercourse and you?
- Bleeding during pregnancy does set off alarm. But light bleeding is common during pregnancy, especially within the first trimester
What Type Of Scan Will I Have
A vaginal scan is the best method in early pregnancy as it gives us a more accurate result at an earlier stage in pregnancy than an abdominal scan. It may be a little uncomfortable but it is safe to be done, you do not need a full bladder when having a vaginal scan. If you have concerns about a vaginal scan, please let the nurse, midwife doctor know.
Recommended Reading: Does Nutraburst Have Caffeine
What Are The Causes Of Early Bleeding
There are a number of causes of bleeding in early pregnancy which include:
Spotting or bleeding may occur shortly after conception, this is known as an implantation bleed. It is caused by the fertilised egg embedding itself in the lining of the womb. This bleeding is often mistaken for a period, and it may occur around the time your period is due.
Hormonal bleeding is when some women experience a light bleed at around four to eight weeks of pregnancy, or around the time their period would have been due. This can be very confusing for women who are pregnant and is the reason many women do not realise they are pregnant for a while. Again, it is totally normal. This usually settles around the 13th week of pregnancy as by this time the placenta is sufficiently developed to produce all of the hormones needed to sustain the pregnancy.
After the egg is fertilised, the fertilised egg then goes on to implant itself into the lining of the womb . Sometimes this results in a little bleeding that shows up on an early scan as a haematoma. This is not anything to worry about. When it happens the woman may notice a small amount of vaginal bleeding, but this is not necessarily the case.
The haematoma will gradually disappear and in most cases, the pregnancy remains safe.
What The Doctor Does
Doctors first ask questions about the bleeding and other symptoms and about the medical history. Doctors then do a physical examination. What they find during the history and physical examination often suggests a cause of the pain and the tests that may need to be done , 3 to 4% of women have vaginal bleeding. Such women are at risk of losing the baby or of bleeding excessively . Sometimes so much blood is… read more ).
Doctors ask about the bleeding:
How long it lasts
How severe it is
What color the blood is
Whether the woman has or has had other symptoms
The woman is asked about her pregnancies: how many times she has been pregnant, how many children she has had, and whether she has had any miscarriages or abortions or any problems in previous pregnancies. The woman is asked whether the membranes have ruptured , usually a sign that labor is starting or has started.
Doctors ask about conditions that increase the risk of the most common and serious causes of bleeding and about risk factors for these causes , particularly a cesarean delivery in a previous pregnancy.
The following tests are done:
A complete blood cell count
Blood type and Rh status
Prothrombin time and partial thromboplastin time
Measurement of substances that help blood clot and of proteins produced when clots are broken up
You May Like: Can You Get Lasik While Pregnant
Second Half Of Pregnancy:
Common conditions of minor bleeding include an inflamed cervix or growths on the cervix. Late bleeding may pose a threat to the health of the woman or the fetus. Contact your health care provider if you experience any type of bleeding in the second or third trimester of your pregnancy.
Vaginal bleeding may be caused by the placenta detaching from the uterine wall before or during labor. Only 1% of pregnant women have this problem, and it usually occurs during the last 12 weeks of pregnancy.Signs of Placental Abruption:
What Causes Vaginal Bleeding
Bleeding in the 1st trimester is not always a problem. It may be caused by:
- Having sex.
- The fertilized egg implanting in the uterus.
- Hormone changes.
- Other factors that will not harm the woman or baby.
- A threatened miscarriage. Many threatened miscarriages do not progress to pregnancy loss.
More serious causes of first-trimester bleeding include:
- A miscarriage, which is the loss of the pregnancy before the embryo or fetus can live on its own outside the uterus. Almost all women who miscarry will have bleeding before a miscarriage.
- An ectopic pregnancy, which may cause bleeding and cramping.
- A molar pregnancy, in which a fertilized egg implants in the uterus that will not come to term.
Don’t Miss: Vagisil Cream While Pregnant
What Causes Heavy Bleeding During Pregnancy
If you are having heaving bleeding while pregnant, then you should see your doctor immediately. If your pregnancy is before 24 weeks, its likely you have miscarriage.
- Do you feel pregnancy symptoms and signs?
- Do you have heavy blot clots
- Do you feel like fainting with severe abdomen pain?
However, if you experience heavy bleeding after 24 28 weeks, then its likely due to placenta previa.
Advice On Early Bleeding
This content is accurate and true to the best of the authorâs knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
Recommended Reading: Is It Safe To Eat Tums While Pregnant
What To Know About Post
Most of the time, light bleeding after sex is due to a normal increase in the superficial veins and capillaries in the cervix and vaginal area. Likewise, vaginal bleeding, especially in early pregnancy, also could be a sign of implantation.
Bleeding could even be the result of natural changes in your cervix. Conversely, if you experience heavy bleeding that could be a sign of something more serious like a miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy.
Regardless of whether or not your bleeding is light, moderate, or heavy, you should contact your doctor or midwife. They will want to know how much bleeding you’re experiencing as well as what color it is. In other words, is the blood bright red, deep red, brown, or a mix of colors. But try not to worry. Many times bleeding after sex is not cause for concern.
Bleeding in the first trimester happens to about 15% to 25% of pregnant women, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists . Likewise, it’s more common in women who have been pregnant before.
As noted above, in almost all situations, sex during pregnancy is completely safe. In fact, your baby is safe inside your uterus and sealed off from the vagina by a thick plug at the head of the cervix. So, it’s very unlikely that sex will cause a miscarriage or any serious complication.
No Breast Tenderness During Pregnancy
Most often, expected women experience breast pain and growth as early pregnancy symptoms. Typically, changes in the breast during pregnancy occur due to a surge of hormones, fat build-up, and increased blood flow to specific areas.
Nevertheless, as we know, every pregnancy is different, so the pregnancy symptoms in every woman are different, too, particularly when it comes to breast changes during pregnancy.
Some women experience breast pain immediately after conception, while others dont experience it for weeks or months after conceiving. However, some women experience soreness in early pregnancy, which lasts until delivery. While for others it lasts for only a few days.
In contrast, some ladies notice that their nipples become tender and protrude more than normal. Alternatively, other women notice that their areolas become bigger, spotted, darker, and more prominent.
In short, its hard to predict what your symptoms will be during pregnancy. But you can only get more reassurance by checking with your doctor.
You May Like: Lasik Eye Surgery And Pregnancy
Is Bleeding A Sign Of Pregnancy
Every woman is different. Therefore, pregnancy symptoms tend to differ. According to the American Pregnancy Association, only 3% of women report implantation bleeding as the first sign of pregnancy. Therefore, if you suspect that you might be pregnant, it is important to look for other pregnancy signs aside from the spotting. You can try the online early detection pregnancy test. There are women who experience spotting and cramping, whereas there are other women who do not even experience it and still turn out pregnant. Some of the classic symptoms of pregnancy include:
- Morning Sickness
Is It Ok To Not Feel Pregnant
In cases where your pregnancy kit states that you are pregnant, yet your body is not acting as though you are pregnant, it is perfectly normal.
I want you to know that every pregnancy story will be different. Just because your mother, next-door neighbor, best friend, or sister experienced some or all pregnancy symptoms does not mean you will experience them as well.
Certainly, family and friends with good intentions might increase your worry by sharing their opinions. However, each woman has to assess her pregnancy in light of her emotions, wellbeing, and what her doctor says.
Most often, women feel as though they dont belong to a pregnancy club because of the typical problems they face. Not feeling pregnant is very natural, so dont panic.
Over time, you will notice your belly growing and experience the magic of a growing baby moving inside you. At that point, it will be obvious that you are pregnant.
However, if you are very concerned about your no-symptom pregnancy, you can consult an experienced gynecologist.
She will take a blood test or hear your babys heartbeat to confirm your pregnancy during your appointment.
Don’t Miss: Pregnant Take Tums