How Many Days After Your Period Can You Get Pregnant
A female can get pregnant at any time during her menstrual cycle. The likelihood of pregnancy is highest during ovulation, which is typically days 10-14.
Intermenstrual bleeding can occur between periods. To pinpoint the start of a menstrual cycle, a female must correctly identify their actual period.
Healthy Body Healthy Pregnancy
Before trying to get pregnant, you should try to be as healthy as possible. In fact, most doctors will recommend that you make an appointment with your obstetrician before youre pregnant.
At this preconception visit, youll talk about existing health problems and get screened for genetic diseases. You can also address other health concerns you might have.
Your doctor might recommend that you make lifestyle changes before you get pregnant. These might include:
- getting to a healthy weight
- improving diet/exercise habits
On Which Days Of Your Cycle Can You Get Pregnant
There are just six days during your cycle when your chances of getting pregnant are the highest the five days that lead up to ovulation and the 24 hours after ovulation. Sperm can live in your body for up to five days, while the egg lives for no more than 24 hours.
The key to determining the best time to try to get pregnant is to know when you ovulate. The precise timing of ovulation is hard to define, as it can happen at different times in each cycle.
Ovulation is when your body releases a mature egg from the ovary. This egg then travels down your uterine tube to be fertilized. The egg is more likely to be fertilized if the sperm is in your uterine tube already. Once fertilized and attached to the uterus, it will create an embryo, which will grow into a baby.
Your most fertile time consists of the five days leading to ovulation and one day after it. Having sexual intercourse during this window gives you the best chance of conceiving.
Don’t Miss: How Do You Know How Pregnant You Are
When Am I Most Fertile
The most fertile time in your cycle are the days leading up to ovulation, before the egg is released from the ovary. After ovulation the egg survives for just 24 hours, while sperm retain fertilising capability for two to three days in the fallopian tubes. For this reason, we recommend that couples have sexual intercourse every two days throughout the females Fertile Window. This means that sperm are ready and waiting for the egg when the female ovulates. If you wait until after the female has ovulated before you have sex, you will most likely have missed the opportunity for conception that month.
Track Your Basal Body Temperature
This is your temperature when you first wake up in the morning. When you ovulate, it goes up slightly and stays up until your next period.
To track it, you’ll need a basal body thermometer, which measures small changes. You can get one at most drugstores and supermarkets.
Take your temperature before you get out of bed every morning. Note the first day it goes up.
“Once you identify the day you ovulated, you can predict that ovulation will happen on or close to that day in future cycles,” Manglani says.
Read Also: What Can I Use For Acne During Pregnancy
How Does Age Affect A Womans Ability To Have Children
Many women are waiting until their 30s and 40s to have children. In fact, about 20 percent of women in the United States now have their first child after age 35. So age is a growing cause of fertility problems. About one-third of couples in which the woman is over 35 have fertility problems.
Aging decreases a womans chances of having a baby in the following ways:
- Her ovaries become less able to release eggs
- She has a smaller number of eggs left
- Her eggs are not as healthy
- She is more likely to have health conditions that can cause fertility problems
- She is more likely to have a miscarriage
Will It Be A Boy Or Girl
Both the man’s sperm and the woman’s egg play a part in determining the gender of a baby.
Every normal human cell contains 46 chromosomes . Chromosomes are tiny threadlike structures made from DNA, which each carry human genes. Genes determine a baby’s inherited characteristics, such as hair and eye colour, blood group, height and build.
When a sperm fertilises an egg, 23 chromosomes from the father pair with 23 from the mother, making 46 in total.
The sex chromosome from a woman’s egg is always the same and is known as the X chromosome. But the sex chromosome from a man’s sperm may be an X or a Y chromosome.
If the egg is fertilised by a sperm containing an X chromosome, the baby will be a girl . If the sperm contains a Y chromosome, the baby will be a boy .
Don’t Miss: What Happens In The First Trimester Of Pregnancy
Follow My Babys Growth
Fertility slowly starts to decline at around age 32, and this decline accelerates after age 35. Women are born with around one million eggs. Over time, the number of eggs drops. By about age 37, youll have around 25,000 eggs left. Chances of getting pregnant spontaneously for people aged 35-39 years are about half that of people aged 19-26 years. In addition, the risk for genetic abnormalities and miscarriage also begins to increase after age 35.
Once women reach their 40s, they experience a rapid decline in their ability to conceive naturally. Although most people who are in their 40s can have a healthy pregnancy, the risks tend to increase considerably during this time. Some of these risks include:
- Premature birth
What Are The Chances Of Getting Pregnant During Your Cycle Can You Get Pregnant After Ovulation Or While You’re On Your Period
If you get your period regularly and don’t have any conditions that influence ovulation, you’ll ovulate around the middle of your cycle in about 92% to 96% of cycles in the remaining 4%-6% of cycles, ovulation never occurs .
In a cycle where ovulation occurs,recent estimates suggest the chances of conception are between 3% seven days before ovulation and 42% the day before ovulation. Estimates from other studies suggest peak chances of conception are a bit lower closer to 38% according to some, or 20% according to others. Differences in study methodology and the demographics of the women who are in their sample may in part explain the variation in estimates among studies.
Because sperm can live up to five days in the female reproductive tract, it *is* completely possible to get pregnant if you have sex on the days leading up to ovulation and not on the day of ovulation itself, if those five days overlaps at all with the 24 hours that an egg can be fertilized. Having sex on the days leading up to ovulation, even though ovulation has not yet occurred, makes it likely that there will be some sperm waiting around for the egg once it’s released. That being said, chances of conception get higher the closer you get to ovulation.
Don’t Miss: Can You Get Pregnant While Your On Your Period
Use A Cycle Charting App
Phone apps can help you chart your cycle. You record details like the first day of your period, OPK results, and basal temperature. You’ll get alerts when you’re likely to be more fertile.
The drawback is most use a standard 28-day cycle, with ovulation on day 14, which isn’t accurate for many women.
Your Best Days For Making A Baby
Brandi Jeter Riley and her husband, Terrence, were ready to give their 8-year-old daughter a baby sister or brother.
When Riley didn’t get pregnant right away, she worried about infertility. But before seeing a specialist, she tried something she hadn’t done before — tracking her cycle and timing it right.
It was a success. Less than 2 months later, Riley, who lives in Oakland, CA, was pregnant. “Nine months later, I was giving birth to my little baby boy,” she says.
“When a couple is having issues getting pregnant, the first step is to make sure they’re doing it right,” says Kara Manglani, a certified nurse midwife and fertility expert in New York. They need to learn about the woman’s menstrual cycle and ovulation — that time every month when one of their ovaries releases an egg.
You May Like: Where To Take Pregnancy Photos
How To Calculate Your Fertile Window / How To Calculate Ovulation
To calculate your fertile window, you need to determine what day you ovulate. To do this, you need to know the length of your menstrual cycle .
The length of your menstrual cycle is the number of days from the first day of bleeding in your last period, to the first day of bleeding in your next. From this figure, subtract 14 days from the end of your current cycle to determine the approximate day you ovulate.
Remember that your best chance of success is from intercourse just before you ovulation – 1-2 days before you ovulate.
How To Use Our Ovulation Calculator
Simply select your usual cycle length from the dropdown box and then choose the date on the calendar when your last period started. With this information, our ovulation calculator estimates your next fertility window .
Based on your results from our ovulation calculator, you can also sign up for handy email reminders, so youll always know your Fertile Window’ each month.
What To Do If You’re Struggling To Determine The Best Days To Conceive
You’ve been checking for CM and charting your BBT, but for some reason, it seems that you’re not ovulating every month or not at all. If you think you’re not ovulating, check in with your OB/GYN.
From the What to Expect editorial team and Heidi Murkoff, author of What to Expect When You’re Expecting. What to Expect follows strict reporting guidelines and uses only credible sources, such as peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions and highly respected health organizations. Learn how we keep our content accurate and up-to-date by reading our medical review and editorial policy.
We Had Sex In Water Am I Pregnant
After you take all of the above into consideration, you should be able to calculate your own chances of getting pregnantor being pregnant for that matterto answer the question, am I pregnant? However, weve also created this convenient chances of pregnancy quiz to help you out. Were fine-tuning this still, so if your situation isnt covered or you have any suggestions, comments, or tips, feel free to drop us a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
What Time Of Day Is Best For Conceiving A Baby
Not necessarily. “There is no definitive data showing that there is a specific time of day to have sex to increase your chances of conceiving,” explains Dr. Morgan. “What we really recommend is to have intercourse at whatever time of day the couple feels works best for them. Ideally when they are in the mood and are well-rested.”
Dr. Chisholm agrees with the sentiment, adding, “Just having sex is really the most important, so the real answer to this question is whenever it is the most convenient for you.” The bottom line? Whether you have sex in the morning, afternoon, or night, you have roughly the same chance at conception.
That said, if you and your partner are ready to go before 7:30 A.M., it doesn’t hurt to give it a shot!
Can I Get Pregnant Just After My Period Has Finished
Yes, although it’s not very likely. If you have sex without using contraception, you can conceive at any time during your menstrual cycle, even during or just after your period.
You can also get pregnant if you have never had a period before, during your first period, or after the first time you have sex.
There’s no “safe” time of the month when you can have sex without contraception and not risk becoming pregnant.
But there are times in your menstrual cycle when you’re at your most fertile, and this is when you’re most likely to conceive.
Also Check: What Is 6 Weeks In Pregnancy
The Role Of Age In Fertility
Age plays an important role in fertility. Your chances of being able to get pregnant naturally start to lower slightly in your late 20s, and considerably in your late 30s. Once you hit 40, your chances of conceiving can drop to 5-10%. By the age of 45, the chance of pregnancy drops to less than 5%.
These are statistics for the general population, but theres always room for outliers. There are instances where a 24-year-old can be struggling to conceive, while older women approaching menopause can have an unexpected pregnancy.
Know When To Seek Help
Both the woman and the man should consider having an infertility evaluation if the woman is 35 or older and has not become pregnant after six months of having sex regularly without using birth control, Pavone said.
Pavone also recommended that a woman who is under 35 and her partner should consult a fertility specialist if she hasn’t become pregnant after one year of having unprotected intercourse on a regular basis.
Don’t Miss: How To Stop Restless Leg Syndrome While Pregnant
Your Chances Of Getting Pregnant After Ovulation
Also known as the luteal phase, this final portion of your cycle begins after ovulation and ends at the start of your next period. During this phase, progesterone starts to rise. Your cervical mucus will dry up, which makes the vaginal tract less friendly to sperm.
It takes about six days for any fertilized eggs to travel to your uterus. If one implants in your endometrium, you’ll start to see the rise in human chorionic gonadotropin , the hormone measured by home pregnancy tests, about one week after implantation.
Your chances of conceiving: Low. Once the egg has been released, there is a short window of 12 to 24 hours during which it can be fertilized. After that, you will no longer be in your fertile window . If you’re looking to avoid pregnancy, this is the phase during which people using fertility awareness methods commonly have sex freely, but keep in mind that there’s never a guarantee when it comes to avoiding pregnancy if a working ovary and sperm are involved.
How To Increase Your Chance Of Getting Pregnant
If you want a baby, here are five tips to increase your chance of getting pregnant.
Pregnancy is only possible if you have sex during the five days before ovulation or on the day of ovulation. This is called the fertile window. Having sex during the fertile window, especially the three days leading up to and including ovulation, gives you the best chance of getting pregnant.
So how do you know when youre ovulating? It depends on the length of your menstrual cycle. It happens about 14 days before your period starts so if your average cycle is 28 days, day one is the first day of your period and you ovulate around day 14. This means your most fertile days for sex are days 12, 13 and 14.
If your average menstrual cycle is 35 days, ovulation happens around day 21 and your most fertile days for sex are days 19, 20 and 21.
If you have a shorter cycle, say 21 days, ovulation happens around day seven and your most fertile days are days five, six and seven.
Use this ovulation calculator to help you pinpoint your fertile window.
If you have an irregular cycle and cant work out when you ovulate, having sex every two to three days should improve your chance of getting pregnant.
For women and men, working towards a healthy weight increases the chance of pregnancy. Being in good shape will not only boost your fertility and your general health, it will also give your baby the best start in life.
Recommended Reading: Can You Bleed Before Pregnancy
Video Result For Increase Chances Of Getting Pregnant
Increase chances of Pregnancy in Hindi
How To Get Pregnant: Improve your chances of getting…
Relieve Endometriosis and Improve Your Chances of…
Why Addressing These Factors Matters If You Have…
10 SIDE EFFECTS OF TEA in Urdu/Hindi – Chai ke…
Increase your chances of getting pregnant with…
How to increase chances of pregnancy in PCOD patients?…
Getting Pregnant At 40 (6 *SIMPLE* TIPS TO BEAT THE…
What are the chances of getting pregnant soon after…
What men can do to increase their partner’s chance of…
3 Things YOU can do right NOW to Increase Your Chances…
INCREASE CHANCES OF GETTING PREGNANT | SPERM Meets EGG…
Best IVF Centre In Delhi: Increase Your Chances Of…
6 Foods That Increase Your Chances Of Getting…
Improve Chances of Getting Pregnant with a Healthy…
How to increase chances of getting pregnant with…
3 things to increase chances of getting pregnant
Fertility 101: How to increase your chances of…
Top 5 Tips For Conceiving-Best Tips To Get Pregnant…
How to Increase Your Chances for Pregnancy By 20%
Top 8 foods to boost your fertility
How To Get Pregnant Fast and Naturally | 7 Sure Tips
Will hormone treatment increase my chances of getting…
Trying to Conceive – Increase Your Chances of Getting…
Pregnancy: How to Get Pregnant Fast – Increase Your…
Increase Your Chances of Getting Pregnant Faster…
Increase Male Fertility Naturally and Increase the…
Getting Pregnant With PCOS
How Long Should I Try For Before Seeking Specialist Advice
Conception is a complicated sequence of events because all of the following need to be in place for it to occur:
- Regular egg production by the ovaries
- Healthy sperm, with the ability to move and the correct shape
- Unblocked and healthy fallopian tubes and uterus
The number one factor affecting a couples chances of conceiving is the womans age. The number of healthy eggs a womans ovaries contain will dramatically decline with age and especially for women over 35. Most people start to consider seeking professional advice after six months of trying to conceive naturally without success. This is even more important if youre over 35.
Don’t Miss: Can I Get Pregnant On The Patch