What Can I Do If I Get A Yeast Infection While Trying To Get Pregnant
If you get a yeast infection while youre trying to conceive, you can rest easy. This very common condition is simple to treat when symptoms are mild to moderate with over-the-counter vaginal antifungal medications or the oral prescription drug Diflucan . Most medications work quickly too, in three to seven days.
Severe symptoms, however, may require a different approach with long-course vaginal therapy, like an antifungal that you take daily for up to two weeks and then continue weekly for several months. There’s no danger in having sex while you’re taking antifungal medications, but intercourse may further irritate the soreness and irritation you feel and delay healing.
If your symptoms don’t go away after you finish taking the medication, see your provider, who can test for other infections with similar symptoms. Its best to rule out and treat any other illnesses so you can clear the way for lots of healthy intercourse and maybe even a baby on the way.
Complications For The Baby
When someone with a yeast infection gives birth, it is possible for them to pass the Candida fungus along to their baby during delivery. This typically happens in the form of oral thrush, consisting of thick, white patches in their mouth. Fortunately, oral thrush can be easily treated with antifungal medication and doesn’t cause any permanent harm to the baby.
At this point, there is preliminary data that suggests a yeast infection during pregnancy may be associated with an increased risk of complications, like:
- Premature rupture of membranes
- Congenital cutaneous candidiasis
How Does A Pregnancy Test Work
Pregnancy tests, detect the hormone hCG. Only after egg fertilization does the female body begin to manufacture this hormone. After egg fertilization, this hormone begins to produce within a few days, but it doesnt become noticeable for another week or ten days. Because of this, the majority of at-home pregnancy tests advise waiting 10 days following fertilization before taking the test.
A strip coated with monoclonal antibodies is used in the majority of contemporary pregnancy tests. Proteins known as monoclonal antibodies exclusively react with a certain class of proteins. Think of this response as a key-and-lock kind of response. It denotes that only the hCG hormone would react with the monoclonal antibodies present on the pregnancy test strip to produce a positive result.
Read Also: How To Quit Smoking While Pregnant
How To Treat Yeast Infection While Trying To Conceive
Every problem has a solution. A yeast infection in a woman surely makes it difficult for her to conceive, but that does not mean she cannot get pregnant at all. If you are trying to conceive and have a yeast infection, here is how you can fight it:
In case you have a yeast infection while you are trying to conceive, it is best to refrain from sex until it gets cured completely.
Early detection and swift treatment may prove helpful in quick healing.
Your doctor may suggest some vaginal creams that may be applied directly to the affected area for a few days to provide relief from soreness and itching.
Prescribed pills for severe yeast infections can also help, although they dont offer immediate respite from the itching and discomfort as creams do.
How Is A Yeast Infection Diagnosed
After receiving a physical exam and reviewing signs and symptoms with your physician, the diagnosis will be confirmed or denied through a sample of vaginal discharge. Your doctor will check the sample for yeasts that cause infections, and more harmful types of yeast infections will also be ruled out during this time.
Also Check: What Should You Do Before You Get Pregnant
Why Do I Need To See My Provider To Treat A Yeast Infection
It may seem like overkill to see your provider because antifungal medication is available over the counter, but it’s not a good idea to try to diagnose and treat yourself. Studies show that most women who treat themselves for a presumed yeast infection miss the real cause. As a result, they often delay getting proper treatment.
Your symptoms may be caused by something else, such as a sexually transmitted infection, instead of or along with yeast.
Reasons Vaginal Itch Happens When You Dont Have A Yeast Infection
When vaginal itch strikes, you may assume that you have a yeast infection. But think twice before you dash to the store for an over-the-counter antifungal remedy.
There are many other potential reasons for vaginal itch. If you treat the condition improperly, you may do more harm than good.
Occasional vaginal itching is common and often resolves on its own. Persistent itching may be a sign of something more serious. Here are five possible reasons for vaginal itching other than a yeast infection:
- vaginal lubricants and spermicides
- fabric softeners
- tampons and sanitary pads
Prolonged friction from activities such as riding a bike, wearing tight clothes or underwear, and horseback riding may also cause contact dermatitis and vaginal itch.
It may be challenging to determine the exact cause of contact dermatitis. However, once the irritating offender is identified and eliminated, most cases go away on their own.
To help the healing process along, try soaking in a lukewarm bath with a few tablespoons of baking soda for up to 15 minutes a few times a day. Severe cases of contact dermatitis may require treatment with a steroid prescription cream.
Bacterial vaginosis is a vaginal infection. It may be caused by douching or an overgrowth of bad bacteria. Symptoms may include:
- thin white, grey, or green vaginal discharge
- a foul, fishy vaginal odor
- burning during urination
Recommended Reading: Can Urgent Care Treat Urinary Tract Infection
You May Like: How Do You Know You Are Not Pregnant
Q: What Steps Can Reduce The Risk Of Yeast Infection
A:During pregnancy and otherwise, take the following precautions:
- Wipe front to back after using the toilet.
- Avoid using scented tampons, pads, and pantyliners.
- Change tampons, pads, and pantyliners often.
- Avoid very hot baths and hot tubs.
- Wear underwear with a cotton lining to promote airflow.
- Wear loose fitting clothing.
- Manage your blood sugar if you have diabetes or gestational diabetes.
- Remove wet workout clothes and swimsuits as soon as possible after activities.
If youre pregnant and notice signs of a yeast infection, discuss treatment options with your doctor so you can eliminate these disruptive symptoms. To request an appointment, call orrequest online.
How Are Vaginal Yeast Infections Diagnosed
In most cases, you can treat this complaint in the privacy of your own home and will soon know if you are suffering from a yeast infection of not by the improvement, or lack of, you are likely to experience. To firmly establish the diagnosis and to rule out any other underlying causes of the symptoms, your doctor will take a specimen, a smear test, scraped from the affected area for microscopic analysis or for culture in a laboratory. Identification of yeast under a microscope, when possible, is the least expensive and most rapid and accurate way to establish the diagnosis and in chronic cases I always recommend identification.
Early detection is important because you may have another condition that may present just like a yeast infection for example such as gardnerella, which is a bacterial infection and not a yeast infection.
Don’t Miss: How Soon Can You Know If You Re Pregnant
Favorite Website For Kids Yeast Issues
Powered by the pediatricians behind the American Academy of Pediatrics, the yeast infection section of their website highlights all the essential info needed on the hows and whys of yeast infections in girls and young women. We appreciate that the site also has solid info on other candida infections that children and teens can experience, complete with a symptom checker chart.
Recommended Reading: Can A Root Canal Be Done On An Infected Tooth
Is It Safe To Use Over
Yes, but always talk with your doctor or nurse before treating yourself for a vaginal yeast infection. This is because:
- You may be trying to treat an infection that is not a yeast infection. Studies show that two out of three women who buy yeast infection medicine dont really have a yeast infection.2 Instead, they may have an STI or bacterial vaginosis . STIs and BV require different treatments than yeast infections and, if left untreated, can cause serious health problems.
- Using treatment when you do not actually have a yeast infection can cause your body to become resistant to the yeast infection medicine. This can make actual yeast infections harder to treat in the future.
- Some yeast infection medicine may weaken condoms and diaphragms, increasing your chance of getting pregnant or an STI when you have sex. Talk to your doctor or nurse about what is best for you, and always read and follow the directions on the medicine carefully.
You May Like: How To Know If Your Eczema Is Infected
Read Also: How To Know If Your Pregnant After 3 Days
Causes Symptoms And Treatment
Yeast infections during pregnancy are more common than any other time in a womans life, especially during the second trimester of pregnancy. You may be noticing an increase in the amount of thin, white, odd smelling discharge. This is common and a normal symptom in the second trimester.If you think you may be experiencing a yeast infection, the following information will prepare you to discuss the possibility with your doctor. Though yeast infections have no major negative effect on pregnancy, they are often more difficult to control during pregnancy, causing significant discomfort for you. Dont wait to seek treatment!
How Can I Prevent A Yeast Infection Or Recurring Yeast Infections
Most yeast infections can usually be avoided by doing the following:
- Wear loose, breathable cotton clothing and cotton underwear.
- After regular, thorough washing , use your blow dryer on a low, cool setting to help dry the outside of your genital area.
- Always wipe from front to back after using the restroom.
- Shower immediately after you swim. Change out of your swimsuit, workout clothes, or other damp clothes as soon as possible.
- use sanitary pads and tampons that contain deodorant
- take a bubble bath/use scented soaps
- use colored or perfumed toilet paper
Recommended Reading: What Is The Best Vitamins To Get Pregnant
What Should I Do If I Get Repeat Yeast Infections
If you get four or more yeast infections in a year, talk to your doctor or nurse.
About 5% of women get four or more vaginal yeast infections in one year. This is called recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis . RVVC is more common in women with diabetes or weak immune systems, such as with HIV, but it can also happen in otherwise healthy women.
Doctors most often treat RVVC with antifungal medicine for up to six months. Researchers also are studying the effects of a vaccine to help prevent RVVC.
How To Know If You Have A Yeast Infection
Its recommended that the first time you have a yeast infection, you go to the doctor to have it properly diagnosed, but once youve gotten them a few times, youll just know. Here are the things to look for.
- Possibly a thick, clumpy, white discharge that has no odor and looks like cottage cheese
Bacterial vaginosis can have many of the same symptoms, but the bacterial vaginosis discharge will have a fishy odor to it. They say youll need antibiotics to cure it, but if you take antibiotics, it will wipe out all of your bacteria , and it will make your chances of getting a yeast infection EVEN WORSE. I can only imagine that going from bacterial vaginosis to a yeast infection would be no fun!
Recommended Reading: How Long After Taking Plan B Can You Get Pregnant
Recommended Reading: Is Weed Good For Pregnancy
What Can You Do To Prevent Yeast Infections
- Wear cotton underwear, which will allow air to circulate and absorb any discharge.
- Sleep without underwear. This can reduce your risk of infections.
- Stay well hydrated to help flush out toxins. Drink at least eight glasses of water a day.
- Urinate regularly to help eliminate infection-causing bacteria.
- Eat complex carbohydrates and whole grains instead of refined sugar to help decrease the environmental factors for infections.
- Consume yogurt often. Lactobacillus, naturally found in yogurt, is a probiotic that promotes proper digestion and is known to help prevent vaginal infections.
What Is Strep A
Group A streptococcus is a common bacteria. It doesnt always result in illness, but it does cause a number of infections including tonsilitis, pharyngitis, scarlet fever, impetigo and cellulitis. It can be spread by close contact with an infected person, passed on through coughs and sneezes or from a wound.
The most serious infections linked to GAS originate from invasive group A strep, or iGAS. These types of infections occur when bacteria enters parts of the body it is not typically found such as the lungs or bloodstream.
Necrotising fasciitis, necrotising pneumonia and Streptococcal Toxic Shock Syndrome are the most severe forms of iGAS infections. Though they remain uncommon, there has been an increase in cases this year among children under 10.
Don’t Miss: What To Do At 37 Weeks Pregnant
What Are The Symptoms Of A Yeast Infection
If you develop symptoms from a yeast infection, they’re likely to be bothersome until you treat the infection, though sometimes they do come and go on their own. Symptoms may include:
- Odorless vaginal discharge that’s often white, creamy, or cottage cheesy
- Burning when you urinate
If you find yourself wiping vigorously after urinating , that’s a clue, too.
The Infection: Group B Strep
Signs You’ve Got It:
- Usually, there aren’t any signs, but some women experience urinary tract infections due to GBS, which results in painful urination and cloudy urine.
What You Need to Know:
You will automatically be tested for GBS between 35-37 weeks. If you test positive, you’ll be given antibiotics during your delivery, so you don’t pass the infection along to your baby. Unfortunately, there’s no way to prevent it.
You May Like: Is Nexium Safe During Pregnancy
Can A Yeast Infection Affect A Pregnancy Test
A pregnancy tests accuracy is influenced by your health and personal cleanliness in addition to timing and method. You can have a lot of queries regarding pregnancy tests. When a woman has a yeast infection, she might question, Can yeast infection influence a pregnancy test?
Its a good question because out of every 10 women, seven get some sort of yeast infection. The most typical reproductive infections are yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis.
Continue reading if you want to know if a yeast infection affects pregnancy tests. This post will address your query, but first, lets look at some fundamental information regarding yeast infections.
Symptoms Of A Yeast Infection During Pregnancy
When you develop a yeast infection, the symptoms are normally bothersome until they are treated. The symptoms include:
- Leukorrhea, an odourless vaginal discharge that has a white, creamy, or cottage cheese-like appearance
- Discomfort or pain during sexual intercourse
- Burning sensation when you urinate
- Bad odour similar to the smell of yeast from beer or bread
You May Like: Can Someone With Endometriosis Get Pregnant
How To Get Rid Of A Yeast Infection
The only foolproof way to get rid of a yeast infection is by taking a short course of antifungal medication. These are available as over-the-counter or prescription oral pills, topical antifungal creams, and suppositories.
OTC treatment options include the cream clotrimazole and miconazole , which comes as a cream or suppository. The most widely used prescription treatment option is fluconazole , an oral medication that you take for two or three days .
If you experience chronic or recurrent yeast infections, your doctor may prescribe a longer course of medication to take for several weeks or months. This will ensure the infection clears up completely and does not return.
How Do I Know If Its A Yeast Infection Or A Urinary Tract Infection
If you are experiencing a vaginal yeast infection, you may have unusual, generally odorless, vaginal discharge that is thick and milky looking. You may also have pain or itchiness in your genital area.
If you are experiencing a UTI, you may have pain and burning when urinating, foul-smelling urine, as well as fever, chills, nausea, and pain in your pelvis.
Yeast infections and UTIs occur in the same area, but the symptoms are very different.
Recommended Reading: How To Tell If Your Pregnant Before Your Missed Period
Read Also: Is Sex Good For Pregnancy
Can You Still Have A Yeast Infection Without Discharge
Leticia Myers | Answered February 27, 2021
There is often little or no vaginal discharge if present, discharge is typically white and clumpy or thin and watery. Symptoms of a yeast infection are similar to a number of other conditions. A physical examination and laboratory testing are needed to determine the cause of symptoms.Jan 25, 2021
How To Prevent From Getting Infected
- Eating yogurt is not only good for gut health but also vaginal health. Include probiotics or yogurt contain Lactobacillus acidophilus in your diet.
- Limit your sugar intake to control your blood sugar level. As yeast grows better in the environment that is high in sugar content.
- Always wipe from front to back after using the toilet.
- Do not use scented products like feminine wash, toiler paper or pantyliner. Tampons are not recommended.
Recommended Reading: Can You Have Cramps If Your Pregnant