The Myth Of Hysteria And Morning Sickness
Unrelenting morning sickness can have a profound effect on your quality of life, preventing you from working, socialising and looking after your other children.Pregnant women enduring morning sickness report higher levels of psychological stress, including anxiety and depression. This prompted the false belief that morning sickness is purely psychosomatic, which means that the womans fears and anxieties trigger her physical discomfort. However, there is no research to support these claims.
Throwing Up Blood While Pregnant Causes
Common causes of throwing up blood while pregnant
There is a wide myriad of possible reasons for the presence of blood in vomit during pregnancy like:
1. Bleeding gums: Gingival inflammation is often noticed in pregnant ladies. The condition leads to sore, swollen, and bleeding gums as during pregnancy, blood flow to the gums increases. The additional symptoms of pregnancy gingivitis are sensitivity, receding gums, bad breath, etc. The blood from the gums mixes with the vomit, and thus hematemesis can be observed.
2. Stomach ulcer: If blood vomit during pregnancy is associated with a burning sensation in your stomach, you are most likely suffering from stomach ulcers. The ulcers or wounds in the stomach lining can bleed and might be seen in vomit. Stomach ulcers are caused by H.pylori, excessive stress, and some medications. It worsens the nauseating condition during pregnancy.
3. Esophageal varies: Another common reason for blood in vomit during pregnancy can be esophageal varies. They are veins present in the lining if the lower esophagus. When these veins get enlarged, they bleed without causing pain. This blood mixes with vomit in pregnancy and looks like hematemesis.
6. Swallowed blood: It is one of the rare conditions cited as a reason for blood in vomit during pregnancy. But blood after a nosebleed may be swallowed and later comes out with vomit.
Learn When Morning Sickness Starts And How You Can Find Relief From Pregnancy
Youre pregnant and ecstatic. You want to go out to lunch to share your excitement with a friend or get a jump on baby shopping. But instead of throwing yourself into the joy of it all, youre trying not to move so you dont throw up again.
If youre feeling sick during your pregnancy, youre not alone. Morning sickness is very common. Up to 50% of pregnant people will have nausea and vomiting during pregnancy, and up to 80% will have at least some nausea.
You May Like: How To Bounce Back After Pregnancy
Treatment For Vomiting During Pregnancy
Treatment for vomiting during pregnancy depends on the underlying cause, as well as the severity.
In the case of morning sickness, eating healthy snacks throughout the day like crackers or dry toast may lessen nausea and vomiting. For some women, morning sickness is worse on an empty stomach.
Sometimes, alternative therapies, such as aromatherapy, acupuncture, and acupressure can also provide relief.
Other ways to relieve symptoms include:
- sipping on water or ginger ale
- avoiding triggers, such as certain foods and smells
- using anti-nausea/anti-vomiting medications
Speak with your doctor before taking any over-the-counter medications.
The same treatments can reduce the intensity of hyperemesis gravidarum. But because vomiting is more severe with this condition, you may need to receive nutrients and fluid through an IV in the hospital.
Your doctor may also prescribe medicine to stop nausea and vomiting. If these medications dont work, you may need a steroid treatment.
Many foodborne illnesses have to run their course, but you should feel better within a few days. The main goal is to replace lost fluid and avoid dehydration. Eating small meals, sipping on Ginger ale, and drinking water or sports drinks can help you feel better and prevent dehydration.
But you should still speak with your doctor. If you have a foodborne illness caused by bacteria, you may need an antibiotic.
When Does Morning Sickness Peak
It varies from woman to woman, but symptoms tend to be the worst at around 9 or 10 weeks, when levels of hCG are at their highest. At 11 weeks, hCG levels start to fall, and by 15 weeks they’ve dropped about 50 percent from their peak.
Scientists believe that morning sickness may be the body’s way of protecting your baby in early pregnancy from toxins and potentially dangerous foods. This theory makes sense because the first trimester when most women have the strongest morning sickness is the crucial period of development when all of your baby’s organs and physical structures form.
Recommended Reading: What Are The Odds Of Getting Pregnant While Ovulating
How Do You Tell If Youre Pregnant Without A Test
The most common early signs and symptoms of pregnancy might include:
Other Causes Of Vomiting
Remember, not all vomiting may be due to the pregnancy. You can still get other illnesses such as a urinary tract infection. You should see a doctor urgently if you develop any symptoms that you are worried about, particularly any of the following symptoms:
- Very dark urine or not passing any urine for more than eight hours.
- Severe weakness or feeling faint.
- Blood in your vomit.
Don’t Miss: What Acne Cream Is Safe During Pregnancy
Do You Have To Be Sick In The Morning To Be Pregnant
Not all pregnant women experience morning sickness and not in the same way. Some have only occasionally queasy moments. Others feel nauseous around the clock but rarely or never throw up.
How long do you have to be pregnant to start feeling sick?
If youre one of the many pregnant women who experience morning sickness, you may start feeling nauseous somewhere around the sixth week of your pregnancy, typically two weeks after your first missed period. Symptoms can appear gradually, or seem to happen overnight.
How Long Does Morning Sickness Last
You are more likely to feel morning sickness between 6 and 14 weeks of pregnancy, during your first trimester. While it is commonly known as morning sickness, it may last throughout the day or night.
It is unusual to experience morning sickness for the first time after week 10 of pregnancy, so if this happens to you, consult your doctor to rule out other health conditions and to give you peace of mind.
What Can You Do To Deal With Throwing Up Bile
The following remedies can help ease this condition if there arent any underlying causes to it. Of course, talk to your doctor before trying any of these.
1. Avoid Foods That Are Hard to Digest
Certain foods are tricky to digest and could even lead to constipation, diarrhea or vomiting. You should avoid consuming these:
- Acidic and hot foods
- Dressings that contain vinegar
2. Take Ginger to Suppress Excess Bile
Ginger is known for its many beneficial properties, one of which is the ability to soothe the digestive tract. It minimizes abdominal pain, cramps, vomiting, and improves digestion by releasing digestive juices.
If you are looking to consume ginger as a way to stop throwing up bile while pregnant, it would be best to consume it raw. However, as it is quite spicy and not everybody likes that, you can try the following alternative.
- Get a glass and fill it with water.
- Mix a teaspoon of grated ginger with water.
- Pour 2 teaspoons of lemon juice into the mixture.
- Stir well and consume 4 glasses of this drink a day.
3. Raise Your Bed
Raise your bed 10 to 15 cm so that your upper respiratory tract ends up being at a higher level. This will aid your digestion and prohibit you from throwing up in the morning.
4. Do Not Lie Down Immediately After Eating
5. Take Small Amount of Frequent Meals
6. Stay Hydrated
7. Be Relaxed
Just like rest is an essential part of the treatment of any illness, it is also an essential part of the treatment of digestive problems.
Avoid Strong Smelling Foods That Bother You
- Try eating outside in the fresh air if possible.
- Ask someone else to cook, especially trigger foods, hot foods and high smell foods.
- If you have to prepare meals for yourself or others make food you are able to eat and try to make cold foods that are easy to make.
- A breathable mask can be helpful when you have to be in a place where smells are too strong for you. These masks help to block some of the food smell.
- Smelling lemons or lemon essential oils might help settle the stomach.
Also Check: How To End Pregnancy Without Abortion
Why Do Women Vomit During Pregnancy
The common phenomenon of women experiencing vomiting during pregnancy is called morning sickness, as it usually happens in the morning, though it can happen at any time during the day. Women tend to feel nauseous as soon as they wake up. This feeling usually goes away in some time.
Some women only have nauseous feeling while some women end up vomiting. This happens due to many reasons:
– The increase in HCG hormones during the early stages of pregnancy can lead to vomiting and nausea.
– Increase in other hormones such as oestrogen can also be linked with feelings of nausea and vomiting.
– Pregnant women have a heightened sense of smell and sensitivity to odours, which may also lead to the above-mentioned conditions.
– During pregnancy, the digestive tracts of women are sensitive, which is another reason linked to vomiting and nausea.
What Does It Mean If Your Throw Up Is Yellow
Yellow vomit can occur as a result of yellow food in a person’s stomach. Individuals who have been vomiting often for a few days may get dehydrated. Vomit might seem yellow due to mucus from an illness. The color of the vomit has no clinical significance.
If you’re throwing up repeatedly and without stopping, seek medical attention immediately. Vomiting that doesn’t stop after you expect it to is a sign of something more serious such as irritable bowel syndrome , gastritis, or gastroenteritis. IBS is a common cause of repeated diarrhea or constipation, with or without pain in between. Gastritis is an inflammation of the stomach lining that can lead to nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Gastroenteritis is an infection of the stomach and intestines that causes symptoms similar to those of gastritis-such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea-but also includes fever and abdominal pain.
Vomiting that is bright yellow or orange indicates that you have ingested substances that are harmful to your liver. These substances include alcohol, certain medications, and toxic chemicals. If you are drinking alcohol or taking drugs that are harmful to your liver, you should avoid products with citrus or fruit flavorings because they will further damage this important organ. Common household items such as cleaners, pesticides, and herbicides contain toxins that can harm your liver if you ingest them.
Don’t Miss: Where To Make An Appointment For Pregnancy
Do I Need Any Investigations
If you have mild feelings of sickness and vomiting during pregnancy, you do not usually need any specific tests or investigations.
Investigations may be needed:
- If your symptoms become more severe.
- If you are not able to keep any food or fluids down.
- If you start losing weight.
Investigations may include a urine test to look for ketones in your urine and some blood tests.
Home Remedies For Throwing Up Blood While Pregnant
- Saline water recurrent episodes of vomiting result in severe dehydration and low levels of body fluid. In this body fluid and supplements can be administered through intravenous salines to recover easily.
- Fruit juice regular intake of water and fruit juice will keep the body hydrated and recover from spells of dehydration. Electrolyte solutions can also be used.
- Balanced diet well planned, balanced and proportionate in vital nutrients and minerals will go a long way in maintaining optimum energy levels and reducing nausea.
- Small and light meals avoid eating heavy meals at night and eat a light breakfast to minimise nausea.
- Hydrate the body consume 2-3 litres of water in a day. Flush out the toxins from the body by this and balance the urine production.
- Regular eating pattern avoid overeating at once. Have a fixed pattern to have food.
- Avoid oily food curb the urge to gorge on fatty or spicy food. Food high in fat and spice causes the stomach lining to swell and causing acidity. Stick to boiled food with low spice.
- Ginger the spicy and tangy flavour of ginger and juice secreted is to reduce nausea and morning sickness. Have ginger juice in the morning.
- Prenatal yoga it cures nausea.
- Ventilation be in places with sufficient movement of air and ensure there is no suffocation.
- Adequate rest stay away from stress and take ample amount of rest.
Is It My Period Or Am I Pregnant
Pregnancy-specific symptoms The key difference between the two, however, is that with pregnancy, your period doesnt occur. Nausea is also a symptom that can accompany pregnancy and is often not experienced with PMS. The nausea in early pregnancy often resolves after the 12th week of gestation, Giles said.
Causes Of Nausea During Pregnancy
While nausea is definitely an uncomfortable feeling, the good news is that it is not harmful to you or your baby, and it is often perceived as an indication of a healthy pregnancy. Nausea is a key part of the common concern referred to as morning sickness.
The cause of nausea during pregnancy is not completely understood. However, it does appear to be linked to the production of the human chorionic gonadotropin hormone. Commonly referred to as the pregnancy hormone, this is the hormone that the body begins to produce once the fertilized egg attaches to the uterine lining. Again, how it contributes to nausea is unknown, but because of they both peak around the same time, theyre assumed to have a clear connection.
There are other theories as to what causes nausea during pregnancy as well. Some other contributing factors might be:
- Estrogen is another hormone that rises during early pregnancy and could contribute to queasiness.
- A sensitive stomach could be made worse while trying to adapt to the changes of pregnancy.
- Stress or fatigue is suggested to cause a physical reaction within the body, leading to nausea and vomiting.
Also Check: Can You Workout While Pregnant
How Does Your Stomach Feel In Early Pregnancy
Feeling pain in your lower abdomen or feeling like your stomach is hard, swollen, or heavy are not early signs of pregnancy.
To the touch, a person’s stomach and abdomen will not show any noticeable signs of pregnancy until later on, depending on your specific body type. So, a self-examination of your stomach is not going to lead to anything conclusive. People who are in their first pregnancy usually don’t start showing until twenty weeks or later.1 Those who have already been pregnant might start showing sooner.
Is Morning Sickness Harmful For My Baby
Even though morning sickness can be unpleasant and distressing, there is no research to suggest that it causes harm to your baby. Nausea may, however, influence your food choices. Both you and your baby need an ongoing source of a range of nutrients in the foods you eat. Speak with a health professional if you think that your morning sickness is getting in the way of healthy eating.
It is also important to prevent dehydration, so if you are vomiting and unable to keep fluids down, see your doctor immediately.
Read Also: How To Guess How Far Along Pregnant You Are
Dont Throw Up If You Ingested Corrosive Poison Or Chemicals
The American Association of Poison Control Centers discourages making yourself vomit unless your physician or poison control center explicitly tells you to do so.
- The New Zealand National Poisons Centre also recommends not to induce vomiting after ingesting a toxic substance. This is because:
- Vomiting corrosive substances, such as bleach or gasoline, can severely damage your digestive tract and airways.
- Vomiting can be ineffective at removing the poison in your stomach.
- The poison could go towards your lungs as you try to vomit.
- The contractions of your stomach when you vomit could cause the poison to be absorbed more quickly by your body.
- It can interfere with more effective treatments.
If you ingest any of these substances, call your physician or poison control center immediately and avoid vomiting.
Photo credit: Palm Beach County
Substances that can froth. These include detergents, shampoos, and soaps. These lightweight substances can reach your airways and lungs if you try to throw up, causing inflammation, swelling, and burns.
Solid or sharp objects. These include buttons, coins, toys, or rings. The objects could scratch your throat, make cuts, cause injuries, or get stuck in your airways.
Acid liquids. These include bleach, pesticides, and acids. Vomiting acidic substances will aggravate chemical burns in your esophagus, throat, and mouth.
Recommended Reading: What Kind Of Doctor Do You Go To For Pregnancy
Timing Of Throwing Up Yellow During Pregnancy
Morning sickness usually fires up around the 6th or 7th week of pregnancy, peaks around 9 to 12 weeks, and then tapers off by 12 to 20 weeks. So, if youre having a lot of yellow vomiting, you can assume it will probably follow that trajectory.
But heres where we share the bad news: Some stay sick for longer, and some truly unfortunate souls get stuck with morning sickness until they give birth .
Its not how things usually go, thankfully, so dont stress about this too much. We just have to put it out there as a possibility.
Don’t Miss: What Cough Medicine Is Safe While Pregnant