Common Cold Symptoms During Pregnancy
Generally, a cold will start with a sore or scratchy throat lasting about a day or two, followed by the gradual onset of other symptoms which may include:
- A runny, then later stuffy nose
- A dry cough, particularly as the cold is ending which may continue for a week or more after the other symptoms have mostly subsided
- A low-grade fever typically under 100 degrees Fahrenheit
Cold symptoms usually last between 10 to 14 days. However, if your symptoms persist longer than that time frame or seem to progressively worsen, you should talk to your primary care physician so they can ensure it hasnt turned into something more serious like an infection or the flu.
Can You Take Antibiotics While Pregnant
antibioticssafe during pregnancyantibioticantibiotics canHome remedies for strep throat during pregnancy
What medicines should you avoid during pregnancy?
- Bismuth subsalicylate .
- Phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine, which are decongestants.
- Cough and cold medicines that contain guaifenesin.
- Pain medicines like aspirin and ibuprofen and naproxen .
You May Like: Head Lice Treatment While Pregnant
Delsym Vs Robitussin: Differences Similarities And Which Is Better For You
A cough, whether chronic or acute, has a significant impact on daily living and quality of life. A cough is said to be a primary symptom of medical importance in more than half of new clinical visits to primary care providers.
Chronic cough is thought to be caused by three primary disease processes: chronic airway disease , post-nasal drip, and gastroesophageal reflux disease . Acute cough may be related to a common cold, asthma exacerbations, or upper respiratory tract infections such as bronchitis. A cough may be dry, meaning that it does not produce mucus or phlegm, or it may be wet, meaning it brings up mucus or phlegm from the respiratory tract. Dry coughs tend to have a more consistent hoarse sound, while the sound of a wet cough may have a gurgling effect and change as the mucus moves through the airways.
Delsym and Robitussin are two cough suppressant medications available without a prescription to help provide temporary relief from cough. Delsym and Robitussin each belong to a line of products under the same trade name that provides combination medicines aimed at treating a variety of cough and cold symptoms including cough, chest congestion, runny nose, nasal congestion, and fever.
You May Like: How Early Does Nausea Start In Pregnancy
Which Drugs Should Be Avoided During Pregnancy
Its best to ask your doctor before taking any medication during pregnancy. Even herbal remedies and vitamins either havent been adequately studied. Common medications that should be avoided during pregnancy include:
- ACE inhibitors for high blood pressure or congestive heart failure, which can cause miscarriage or birth defects
- Isotretinoin for cystic acne causes extreme birth defects
- Methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis or psoriasis causes birth defects or miscarriage
- Naproxen , an NSAID used for pain treatment, can cause birth defects, miscarriage, increased fetal blood pressure and can reduce the amount of amniotic fluid
- Valproic acid for epilepsy and bipolar disorder can cause heart defects and cleft palate
Conditions Treated By Delsym And Robitussin
Delsym and Robitussin are indicated in the temporary relief of cough. They are especially useful in non-productive coughs such as the common cold and bronchitis.
Dextromethorphan, the active ingredient in the brand name products Delsym and Robitussin, is used off-label to treat painful diabetic neuropathy. Off-label is a term that refers to using a drug for a purpose not officially approved by the Food and Drug Administration . Dextromethorphan blocks N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors in the brain and spinal cord. NMDA receptors play an important role in pain perception, especially long-term, throbbing pain. By blocking these receptors, dextromethorphan is thought to help improve pain control. By the same mechanism, dextromethorphan may increase opioid effects on pain relief.
You May Like: What Happens If You Donate Plasma While Pregnant
How Is This Medicine Best Taken
Use Robitussin DM as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with Robitussin DM . If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure Robitussin DM .
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Robitussin DM on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Robitussin DM is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
A Word About Antibiotics
So many patients call asking for antibiotics for a cold,usually when theyve had symptoms for several days. There are a few times whenantibiotics are appropriate, for instance, strep throat or sinus infectionscaused by bacteria. But antibiotics simply dont work against viruses thatcause the common cold. Overprescribing antibiotics for viral illnesses leads toantibiotic resistance, which means the bacteria grow stronger over time andbecome tougher to beat with antibiotics.If a doctor prescribes an antibiotic for cold symptoms, its usually a short,three-day round of drugs. The patient often feels better after finishing themedication but probably would have recovered in that timeframe anyway withoutthe drug.
Read Also: How To Feel If Your Pregnant Or Not
Are Breastfed Babies Less Likely To Get Sick
Breastfed babies have fewer infections and hospitalizations than formula-fed infants. During breastfeeding, antibodies and other germ-fighting factors pass from a mother to her baby and strengthen the immune system. This helps lower a babys chances of getting many infections, including: ear infections.
Is Delsym Or Robitussin Better
Delsym and Robitussin are both effective at suppressing temporary cough caused by acute processes such as the common cold. They are preferred over codeine-based prescription formulations because they are non-opioid and available without a prescription. Dextromethorphan products have been shown to be superior to other OTC products such as expectorants, decongestants, and antihistamines in controlling cough.
Donât Miss: Donating Plasma While Breastfeeding
Recommended Reading: Can You Get Pregnant From Anal Sex
How Do You Get Rid Of A Stuffy Nose While Pregnant
To ease congestion and other symptoms of pregnancy rhinitis:
Medications To Avoid During Pregnancy
Always check with your doctor or OBGYN before taking any medications prescription, over-the-counter, or homeopathic particularly the following.
- Pain relievers and fever reducers like aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen can cause pregnancy complications, particularly if taken during the third trimester.
- Avoid non-steroidal nasal sprays containing oxymetazoline.
- Dont take supplemental vitamins or herbal remedies without medical approval.
Recommended Reading: How Quickly Can You Get Pregnant After An Abortion
Safe Allergy Remedies During Pregnancy
- Oral antihistamines, like cetirizine , chlorpheniramine , diphenhydramine , fexofenadine , and loratadine seem to be safe. So does cromolyn sodium nasal spray and the steroid nasal spray Rhinocort, according to Web MD.
- Allergy shots: If you took allergy shots before pregnancy, your doctor might recommend you continue taking them. But do not start them while pregnant.
- Sudafed 30-60 mg every 4-6 hours can be used in the second and third trimesters in women without gestational hypertension. Avoid use in the first trimester and with breastfeeding. Sudafed PE should be avoided because of its uncertain efficacy and safety in pregnancy.
Allergy Medications to Avoid During Pregnancy
- Decongestants: During your first trimester, dont take decongestants by mouth, according to Web MD. Decongestants may make some birth defects more likely. Watch out for antihistamines combined with a decongestant. Because theres not enough evidence for their safety, avoid antihistamine nasal sprays.
- Mucinex, Mucinex D, Mucinex DM, and the extra-strength versions of each, because the six forms of Mucinex contain guaifenesin. Avoid taking any of these during the first trimester of pregnancy. However, they may be safe to use during later trimesters. Ask your doctor.
What Are Some Side Effects That I Need To Call My Doctor About Right Away
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash hives itching red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever wheezing tightness in the chest or throat trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking unusual hoarseness or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Also Check: Chemical Pregnancy Mayo Clinic
Why Is Robitussin Not Safe When Pregnant
Like with all medications, we want to be sure that there are no harmful side effects when taking Robitussin during pregnancy. When used for short-term cough and cold symptoms, Robitussin is unlikely to cause any serious side effects that put the life of the mother or unborn baby at risk. That said, there are a few things to keep in mind when considering whether to use Robitussin when pregnant.
First, we dont know for certain if there are any long-term effects of this cough syrup on a developing baby. Because of this, your doctor will likely recommend against taking it past the first trimester. Second, we dont know whether this cough syrup will interact with other medications or supplements that you might be taking. You should always let your doctor know what medications or supplements you are taking, including OTC medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Q: Is Robitussin Dm Pregnancy Safe
Ans: Robitussin DM is generally considered safe to take during pregnancy. However, as with any medication, it is always best to speak with your healthcare provider before taking anything during pregnancy. Additionally, it is important to be aware that Robitussin DM contains dextromethorphan, which can cross the placenta and potentially lead to some adverse effects in the newborn. Therefore, it is generally recommended that Robitussin DM be used only when absolutely necessary during pregnancy.
Also Check: What Should I Be Doing At 8 Weeks Pregnant
Safe Medications For Pregnant Women
Your obstetrician from Genesee Valley OB/GYN will review any medications you are currently taking to decide what is safe to continue taking during pregnancy. Some medications and herbal supplements can increase your chance of birth defects, and your doctor will review any medication you may need to stop taking if youre pregnant or trying to become pregnant. Over-the-counter medicines like acetaminophen, allergy medicine, and cold medicines are generally safe to take, while aspirin and ibuprofen should be avoided.
What Is Robitussin And What Are Its Active Ingredients
Robitussin is a cough medicine similar to any other cough drops or over the counter medications for cold and cough that contain the active ingredient dextromethorphan. Robitussin is available as a syrup, capsule, or tablet.
Robitussin can be an effective way to relieve your cough, but it is important to follow the directions on the label carefully and not take more than the recommended dosage.
Also Check: Is Cramping Normal At 5 Weeks Pregnant
Whats In Robitussin Dm
The main ingredients in Robitussin DM are well-researched and tested.
The active ingredients are guaifenesin and dextromethorphan. Guaifenesin is used to loosen mucus and dextromethorphan is for suppressing cough.
One important note with medicines containing dextromethorphan and guaifenesin is that they are often combined with alcohol, so be sure to check the label carefully or confirm with a pharmacist or your doctor before consuming.
How Do I Know If I Have A Cold During Pregnancy
Symptoms of a cold during pregnancy are no different than the usual cold symptoms. These include:
Having a fever in early pregnancy has been linked to birth defects. If you notice a fever at any time during your pregnancy, talk to your healthcare provider to see if treatment is needed.
Also Check: Is It Safe To Get Braces While Pregnant
What Are Some Things I Need To Know Or Do While I Take Robitussin Dm
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Robitussin DM . This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not take more than what your doctor told you to take. Taking more than you are told may raise your chance of very bad side effects.
- Do not take Robitussin DM for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- If you are on a low-sodium or sodium-free diet, talk with your doctor. Some of these products have sodium.
- If you have phenylketonuria , talk with your doctor. Some products have phenylalanine.
- Some forms of Robitussin DM may not be for use in all ages of children. If you have questions, talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
Cold Medications To Avoid Or Use With Caution
Your doctor or midwife will likely suggest avoiding the following medications during pregnancy or may recommend skipping them in certain trimesters often because there’s a concern that they could contribute to possible birth defects or pregnancy complications:
Also keep in mind that herbal supplements haven’t been well-studied in pregnant women , so skip them unless you’ve cleared a specific supplement with your provider.
Be aware that some liquid cold medicines contain alcohol in concentrations as high as 4.75 percent. Look for products that are labeled “alcohol-free.”
Read Also: What Is The Best Way To Not Get Pregnant
Safe Constipation Remedies During Pregnancy
- Metamucil, Citracel, Fibercon, Benefiber
- Stool softeners colace ,1 tablet 2-3 times a day, pericolace ,1 tablet 1-3 times a day
- Laxatives such as Milk of Magnesia, Correctal, Fleets enema and Miralax
- Imodium liquid or capsules for diarrhea
- Psyllium, which is the basic ingredient in Konsyl and Metamucil
Robitussin To Get Pregnant
Many women want to know whether they could take Robitussin to improve their fertility and help them get pregnant. They believe that because fertile cervical mucus is needed for sperms to enter the uterus and eventually to fertilize the egg, Robitussin may help to improve problems with cervical mucus and thus make it easier for sperms to enter the uterus.
The three major causes of infertility are:
None of these problems can be solved by taking Robitussin.
The major ingredient in plain Robitussin is guaifenesin. Some claim that it thins the cervical mucus and helps sperm penetrate the cervix. But there are no reliable studies that show that it improves fertility. And there are no reliable studies proving the safety of guaifenesin in pregnancy.
You May Like: What To Pack For The Hospital When Pregnant
Can You Take Antibiotics During Pregnancy
Antibiotics can be a literal lifesaver when they’re used to treat a bacterial infection. If your doctor prescribes you an antibiotic during pregnancy, it’s generally because the infection it’s treating is more dangerous than any potential side effects of taking the drug. If your doctor prescribes you an antibiotic, it will generally be in the penicillin or erythromycin family.
That said, antibiotics can also be overused when they’re not necessary, leading to antibiotic-resistant infections. A few things to remember:
Some research suggests that certain antibiotics may be linked to a higher risk of miscarriage and birth defects. This risk, however, is very low, and the illnesses the pregnant moms were being treated for could have been the cause for the miscarriages rather than the drugs themselves.
Remember that while it’s not wise to take antibiotics when they’re not warranted , they can be essential even lifesaving for your health and your baby’s. If your doctor prescribes antibiotics and you’re concerned, ask about the potential risks and benefits.
What Is The Difference In Robitussin And Robitussin Dm
Both Robitussin and Robitussin DM have similar profiles of medical/ drug interactions offered by their identical active ingredient.
In addition, they belong to the group of common cold and cough treatment products that use a similar trade name yet differ in some aspects.
Robitussin is a practical medicine for diluting congestion in your throat and chest, yet it does not work as long as most other guaifenesin units.
Robitussin Dm is a mixture of medicine that alleviates various cold symptoms.
Also, it is okay to take it if you suffer from some cough and chest congestion.
Can a pregnant woman take robitussin? Before answering this question, lets take a look at the comparison table below.
Don’t Miss: Is It Safe To Take Tums While Pregnant