What To Do During Your Second Month
- Wait to tell people about your pregnancy until the end of the first trimester.
- How is your diet? You should be eating healthy, wholesome foods, whole grains, and lots of protein.
- Invest in a supportive bra, as your breasts may be getting larger.
- Perform some light exercise.
- Get a flu shot if you havent already.
- Avoid cleaning the cats litter.
- Ask someone to put the gas in your car.
As exciting as it is to be pregnant, its best to contain that excitement until you make it through the critical period known as the first trimester. Its a very, very tough thing to have to tell people youve lost your baby after sharing the joyous news with them just days before. As much as you want to shout it to the world, just wait a little while.
You May Like: Does Donating Plasma Affect Fertility
Calculate Using A Pregnancy Test With Weeks Indicator
All pregnancy tests are designed to detect the pregnancy hormone human chorionic gonadotropin in urine, but some pricier tests offer a weeks indicator that promises to tell how far along you are. Unfortunately, these tests are pretty vague, stating only one to two weeks, two to three weeks or three-plus weeks pregnant. In addition, the tests measure from implantation, not from your LMP. A test might say that youre one to two weeks pregnant but youre actually four weeks pregnant, according to standard pregnancy calculations.
How To Use The Due Date Calculator:
Few things can compare to the rush and excitement of when you take a pregnancy test and read out the positive result! Once youâve processed the news that youâre going to be a mom, your thoughts will naturally turn to planning and one of your first questions will no doubt be: when is my due date? Use these three simple steps to find out how far along you are in your pregnancy:
Keep in mind every pregnancy is unique and the result will be an estimation rather than a fixed date.
Also Check: Can I Donate Plasma While Pregnant
Also Check: What Gas Stations Sell Pregnancy Tests
Factors That Cause A False Negative
Can you get a false negative pregnancy test? Absolutely. But you can decrease your risk of getting a false negative by keeping an eye out for the variables that cause a negative pregnancy test result, such as:
- Urine concentration The more diluted your urine, the harder it is for a pregnancy test to detect accurate amounts of HCG . Instead, try to take your pregnancy test first thing in the morning when the chemicals in your urine are at their most concentrated.
- Testing too early If youre trying to get pregnant, you may be meticulously tracking your menstrual cycles so you can pinpoint your most fertile periods. But not every woman operates on a 28-day cycle. If you get a negative test result, you might have caught your egg right at implantation, before HCG levels are high enough to be detected. Try waiting a few days and test again to ensure an accurate reading.
- Delayed implantation Typically, a fertilized egg will mosey down into the uterus for implantation 6-9 days after fertilization. But thats not always the case for every woman. In fact, for 10 percent of pregnant women, the embryo doesnt implant until the first day of your missed period. And remember, HCG isnt produced until implantation, so you may not get a positive pregnancy test until week 6 or 8 of your pregnancy!
Recommended Reading: Can I Donate Plasma While Breastfeeding
How To Calculate How Far Along You Are
Once you have the date of the first day of your last period, you can start counting.
- Two weeks from that date is probably when ovulation and fertilization happened.
- However many weeks have passed since that date is how far along you are now. Yay!
- 40 weeks from that date will be your estimated due date. Yikes!
Recommended Reading: Can You Use Preseed When Pregnant
How Is Pregnancy Calculated
Calculating the day your baby begins to develop and keeping track of your pregnancy dates can be a challenge. The development of pregnancy is counted from the first day of the womans last normal menstrual period , even though the development of the fetus does not begin until conception, which is about two weeks later.
Pregnancy is calculated from this day because each time a woman has a period, her body is preparing for pregnancy. Counting from the LMP, most women are pregnant an average of 280 days. Calculating from the LMP also gives a standard of measurement for health care providers to follow since it is extremely difficult to know exactly when conception occurred.
For more information on how pregnancy is measured, please see our information on calculating your dates.
When Can You Find Out How Many Weeks Pregnant You Are
A woman can find out how many weeks pregnant she is at any time during pregnancy. There are several ways to calculate how many weeks pregnant a woman is and the estimated due date or estimated date of delivery . Some ways are more accurate than others. It may be calculated based on the womans last menstrual period , her urine levels of the pregnancy hormone human chorionic gonadotropin , fetal developmental milestones and an ultrasound. The due date is just an estimate and only about four percent of women give birth on their due date. Most women either deliver a little earlier or a little later than their estimated due date, which is normal because childbirth depends on several factors related to the mother and her fetus.
Don’t Miss: Is Cramping Early In Pregnancy Normal
Modern Fertility Pregnancy Test
Price: $ Pros: The company offers an easy subscription model with a built-in app to help you track your cycle.Cons: Some reviewers commented that the test themselves were small and not as long as other tests they buy over the counter.Results time: 5 minutesDisplay method: Line method, two lines equals pregnant
Modern Fertility tests claim 99 percent accuracy from the day of your missed period. They come in petite, discreet packaging, which some reviewers did not like. However, it does make testing in public places much easier. They fit into your back pocket no need to announce your pregnancy test to the world or carry your purse into the bathroom with you.
You can track your results in the accompanying app, which is very user-friendly. It also allows you to track results from ovulation tests so you can better predict your most fertile days over time. You can also tag possible conception days.
Tests are HSA/FSA eligible.
Read Also: Can You Do Lasik While Pregnant
Why Knowing The Gestational Age Of Your Pregnancy Is Important
There are several reasons its important to get an accurate gestational age for your pregnancy, such as:
- Gestational age determines what options are available to you: If you are considering abortion or seeking an abortion clinic, you need to know how far along you are before you can get any procedures done. Doctors can only use some methods up to a certain point in pregnancy, so an accurate age is vital.
- Gestational age helps estimate when you possibly conceived: Knowing how far along you are helps you estimate your conception date. You may want this for personal reasons. You might also need it in order to determine who the father of the baby is.
- Gestational age determines your due date: Babies are generally born 40 weeks after conception. By knowing approximately how far along you are in your pregnancy, you can determine when you are most likely to give birth and make adequate preparations.
Also Check: When Should You Get Pregnant
How Many Weeks Pregnant Am I
Calculating your babys due date isnt as easy as you might think. Heres how to figure out how many weeks pregnant you are.
OK, How many weeks pregnant am I may seem like a funny thing to ask Dr. Google, but its pretty common to be a little confused about your due dateor how many weeks pregnant you arein the earliest stages of pregnancy. Thats true even if youve been tracking your cycles religiously, and even if you suspect you know the exact date of conception.
Heres why: Pregnancy is actually measured from the first day of your last menstrual periodbefore youve finished bleeding, before youve ovulated and before youve engaged in any, um, baby-making activity.
Youre having a babysubscribe to our Todays Parent Pregnancy by Week newsletter!Many women dont even bother taking a pregnancy test until theyve ovulated, had sex, and missed a period. Home pregnancy tests will not work until youre at least 5-6 days away from the expected date of your next period, anyway.
Because most womens menstrual cycles are around 28 days or four weeks long, some couples who are trying to conceive refer to the time between ovulation and being able to take a pregnancy test as the two week waitor TWW, in message-board acronyms.
Heres an example: if you just got a positive result on a home pregnancy test and suspect you likely ovulated and conceived about two weeks ago, your medical providers already consider you to be four weeks pregnant.
Dont Miss: Can I Get Lasik While Pregnant
What To Do During The Second Trimester
- Make sure you are not skipping out on your prenatal vitamins and folic acid!
- Dont skimp on the fiber because you really will need it to keep things moving in there, and Im not talking about the baby!
- Exercise and drinking lots of water is also important. Women often retain a lot of water during pregnancy as a result of not drinking enough water. Sounds weird, but thats how the body works! If youre not drinking enough water, the body will retain it because it needs it. You will still gain water weight, but keeping yourself hydrated can really help with not getting so puffy around the edges.
- If you look in the mirror, you may notice that your breasts have gotten larger. They are growing to prepare to feed your baby. Get comfortable with a breathable top!
- Learn about how to take care of a newborn. It’s best to start early and be prepared rather than procrastinate and fumble around with your child once they’re here!
Also Check: What Is Good For Constipation During Pregnancy
How Soon Can I Take A Pregnancy Test
A missed menstruation cycle is one of the earliest signs of pregnancy. Thats why we usually recommend waiting until youve missed your period before taking a pregnancy test. You can purchase low cost, high quality pregnancy tests here. If you cant wait that long and you know the day of your last period we can calculate possible conception and your pregnancy due date.
Is This Pregnancy Weeks Calculator Reliable
Like any other Online Calculator, the Pregnancy Weeks Calculator is simply a Pregnancy Calculator designed to help you and provide guidance for your first few weeks of pregnancy. If you are pregnant and you want to be 100% certain on the exact number of days that you have been pregnant, we recommend that you go directly to your doctor.
Recommended Reading: Can You Get Lasik Eye Surgery While Pregnant
Read Also: Can You Have Diarrhea In Early Pregnancy
Next Steps After A Positive Test
After getting a positive test result, youll need to do a few things in order to support a healthy pregnancy:
- Contact your doctor or healthcare provider for an initial appointment. You may have to wait several weeks for your appointment, so it is best to schedule one as soon as possible.
- Discontinue alcohol and drug usage when you get a positive pregnancy test result. Also, consider limiting your caffeine intake while you are pregnant.
- Begin taking prenatal vitamins. Choose one that contains folic acid, which may prevent birth defects. Its important to take these vitamins early in order for them to be in your system before you are further along in your pregnancy.
Dont Miss: Vagisil Wipes During Pregnancy
When Do You Start Showing
You ll probably start to show in pregnancy at 12 to 16 weeks. You re more likely to show early if you re short, carrying multiple babies, or you ve been pregnant before. By week 20, your doctor will start measuring your fundal length, the distance between the pubic bone and the top of the uterus.
Recommended Reading: Can You Get Lasik While Pregnant
Also Check: How Do I Know My Girlfriend Is Pregnant
When Should I See A Doctor For A Clinical Pregnancy Test
Most women who have a positive pregnancy test should wait a week or two before calling the Ob/Gyn office for a pregnancy blood test. We suggest waiting because the rate of early pregnancy loss is high, and its possible that it might have been a chemical pregnancy.
However, women with a history of ectopic pregnancy or current abdominal pain should call the doctor right away to be examined. Ectopic pregnancies implant outside of the uterus and produce hCG, resulting in positive pregnancy tests. However, these pregnancies can cause abdominal bleeding and prompt medical care is necessary. Women who have congenital heart defects or other chronic physical or mental health conditions should also see a doctor right away because treatment plans or medications might need to be altered to protect the woman and the fetus.
Advances in home pregnancy tests give women greater insight into whats going on in their bodies sooner than ever before. No matter what a womans childbearing plans might be, its essential to get quick, accurate results at home so she can plan her next steps accordingly.
What Is Happening To My Body
Pregnancyits one of the most glorious and tiresome rollercoaster rides of emotions a woman will experience in her entire life!
Chances are, you are here because you are pregnant or think you may be pregnant. Here, I will go over many of the symptoms, both pleasant and not-so-pleasant, that a woman may experience during her pregnancy.
You May Like: Can You Get Life Insurance When Pregnant
How Accurate Is A Baby Due Date Calculator
A due date calculator is only an estimate. Your healthcare provider will examine you and your developing fetus to confirm your due date.
To get a more accurate idea of when your baby will be born, your provider will perform an ultrasound. During an ultrasound, your provider measures your baby. These measurements help your provider determine your babys gestational age and confirm your due date.
How Do Your Due Date Charts Work
The due date charts show possible due dates based upon data from a birth survey carried out by Spacefem.com. The survey relied upon correct information being input by each of the 9,000+ Mums who took part it was not a scientific study. Its important to remember that your birth date probability will vary based upon many factors, including your age, health, ethnic origin and whether youve given birth before.
If you have any problems using this pregnancy calculator, please contact me.
Recommended Reading: Can I Donate Plasma While Pregnant
Recommended Reading: How To Get Pregnant On Mirena Iud
When Is The Best Time To Take A Pregnancy Test
Ovulation generally occurs around day 15 of a 28-day cycle. In a normal pregnancy, an egg is fertilized in the fallopian tube and then travels into the uterus, where it implants itself in the uterine wall. A womans body begins to produce hCG from cells in the developing placenta soon after implantation of a fertilized egg inside the uterus. Around eight days after ovulation, trace levels of hCG can be detected from an early pregnancy. That means a woman could get positive results several days before she expects her period to start.
The tricky part of timing when to take a test is that the duration of the first half of a menstrual cycle is more variable than the second. The length of time from the first day of a period to ovulation can vary by several days from month to month. Sexual activity around ovulation leads to the possibility of fertilization of the released egg by sperm. But even then, the time frame for a fertilized egg to implant can vary. And hCG isnt produced until after implantation has occurred.
For the most accurate results, we recommend that women test in the morning on the day they expect their period to start. This allows for variability in the timing of ovulation, fertilization, and implantation. Testing in the morning provides a urine sample that is concentrated.
Calculate Using Your Last Menstrual Period
The formula for calculating how far along you are is simply the number of days since the first day of your last menstrual period divided by seven:
Days since start of LMP ÷ 7 = # of weeks pregnant
Wondering how to calculate your number of months pregnant?
Days since start of LMP ÷ 30 = # of months pregnant
You May Like: Why I Never Get Pregnant
How To Tell How Far Along You Are In Pregnancy
You may determine how far along you are using a number of various methods, including the following: Last menstrual period : The first day of your most recent menstruation is the starting point for the calculation of the week of pregnancy you are now in. How far along you are may be estimated from the number of weeks that have gone since you started.